Author Topic: help switching to linux  (Read 12324 times)

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
help switching to linux
« on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
ok... im done with windows. im tired of all the errors and its reconfigurings of my stuff!!
whats the  best linux distro  ???
ive used puppy so im not totally ignorant to linux but i could really use some pointers.

thanks guys / gals in advanced

we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

lefty420

• View Profile
Re: help switching to linux
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »
Hi there i just re-did my linux box and updated to ubuntu 18.04 attract works great. As far as I know there are 2 option you can install retropie and have that deal with everything. Or do as I did and go the solo route. This means installing the emulators such as retroarch manually and configuring attract to suit.  I'd be more than happy to post my attract cfg's so you can see the arguments ect. You can even install wine and load windows games. I have games like cuphead running perfect in linux.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
would love it if you could put the configs in a zip, and share :D
help a friend....

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
It works perfectly for me on lubuntu 16.04 on a samsung laptop with intel atom n270 and 2gb ram.

I use Attract-Mode + Retroarch.

I do not usually like that kind of distros (puppy, etc.) because they are not persistent.

Wikipedia definition: "Persistence – in computer science refers to the characteristic of data that outlives the execution of the program that created it. Without this capability, data only exists in RAM, and will be lost when the memory loses power, such as on computer shutdown."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:26:08 AM by iOtero »
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

lefty420

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »
Here are my configs note they are not 100 finished and dependent to my system. You'll need to edit them to suit yours. But I guess its a good reference. Very much a W.I.P
https://www28.zippyshare.com/v/hOQ27Cd4/file.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:34:20 AM by lefty420 »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:58:25 AM »
It works perfectly for me on lubuntu 16.04 on a samsung laptop with intel atom n270 and 2gb ram.

I use Attract-Mode + Retroarch.

I do not usually like that kind of distros (puppy, etc.) because they are not persistent.

Wikipedia definition: "Persistence – in computer science refers to the characteristic of data that outlives the execution of the program that created it. Without this capability, data only exists in RAM, and will be lost when the memory loses power, such as on computer shutdown."

actually puppy can be installed on a hdd . ive played with puppy alot but it takes alot to work it properly on a hdd. ( i mean i get that it was made to use to get your data from a broken down old pc.)
 actually i wanna use groovy arcade but its very confusing. and im very familiar with ubuntu. there is a puppy arcade distro out but hasnt been updated in like many years and i cant get it to run but...... lol

thanks guys for the input!!

atleast i know if i have questions or issues i can come here and find answers!! :D

one more question... can you hide ubuntu like you can windows and boot directly into attract?? cuz i think i am gonna go ubuntu for now till i get some more linux under my belt.

Win 7
12g ram

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
Here are my configs note they are not 100 finished and dependent to my system. You'll need to edit them to suit yours. But I guess its a good reference. Very much a W.I.P
https://www28.zippyshare.com/v/hOQ27Cd4/file.html

holy crap dude! you are the bomdiggity!! wip??? lmao!! howmany more emulators are there? lol
nice work thank you!

Win 7
12g ram

lefty420

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
Haha I want to get everything that works in windows working in linux. Well thats the goal anyway. I had a way to use wine to load emulators but it only worked on a older version of wine. Loading games is fine its just when the executable needs a command to load the rom.

I use an openbox script which boots directly into kodi without any environment and load attract via kodi through advance program launcher. But the scipt can be edited so start anything. There are loads of way to get it to boot directly into an app.

I wrote a little shell that can be used to launch games via wine in attract here if anyone wants a play. You just point to wine point to the prefix you want to use set your games dir and exe and boom. Theres a example of the windows games.cfg I use to load the .sh's 
https://pastebin.com/jgVRsZVJ
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:58:34 AM by lefty420 »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »
 guess ill be learning a new language ...  :P

ok so i can do it awsome!
thanks alot!! really appreciate the help!

Win 7
12g ram

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:14:29 PM »
thanks for the configs.....amazing. ;D
help a friend....

lefty420

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 02:52:07 AM »
Does anyone have a config set for use with retropie handy ? I discovered you can install individual packages in retropie without installing the whole package. Dont know why I didnt think of that before. I wanna try a combination of native and retropie emulators.

RetroMacGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 10:23:32 AM »
Just thought I would provide another alternative, Attract + Retroarch + several standalone emulators works excellent on Mac OSX, been building a few setups for a few years with nobugs or crashes that I can recall.

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
    • Blogging about Rust lang
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
You might be interested in my work-in-progress arcade setup based on Arch Linux.

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »
You might be interested in my work-in-progress arcade setup based on Arch Linux.

yes VERY!!!
1  thing though... how do i use it... im not very good with command line jargon. i dont suppose it has an instructions readme does it??  :D 

Win 7
12g ram

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
    • Blogging about Rust lang
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »

yes VERY!!!
1  thing though... how do i use it... im not very good with command line jargon. i dont suppose it has an instructions readme does it??  :D

Working on it. It assumes at least some knowledge of Linux though.