Author Topic: Deleting MAME Roms outside my list ?  (Read 3070 times)

Onça Killer

• "Aqui tem coragem"
    • View Profile
Deleting MAME Roms outside my list ?
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:27:07 AM »
Hello, I recently built and MAME machine, downloaded a gigantic ROM set (about 53GB) to it, and generated a .txt list to use with AM.
Everything is working well, and all games that I actually care are in showing up in the front-end just fine, BUT, my ROMS folder is still about 60GB  :-\, which surely doesn't seem to be very space efficient ...
I was wondering, is there any software that I can use to delete all those roms that i filtered ? I mean, on AM list, i can't see any mature, mahjong, physical or non-working games, and I see no problem on wiping them from my HDD.
I google for a while and I found some softwares, like RomLister, CLRMAME, and a couple other stuff. but they didn't see to do exactly what I want, they just hide the games.
I don't know if it is any help, but i generated the .txt list using Lightspeed, but I don't think I had the option to delete the roms that were out the list.
Many thanks.
Sou Serjão Berranteiro, mais conhecido como matador de onça,
É a verdade, não minto.
Confio no Pai Eterno sempre, aqui estou e vou estar!

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Deleting MAME Roms outside my list ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:37:50 AM »
Yes rom lister will delete them. You have to create a .bat file. It will copy by default. This is good. Make your list copy those games to another folder. Rename your original folder (or move to another drive). Don't delete them!...yet. Now rename the folder you copied all your other roms to and rename it to the path and folder. Go to attract mode and rebuild your list. Any games that do not work may have to do with missing bioses you just drop that back into your mame folder and your game should work.

I do this a LOT and it works well enough. It's not perfect but it helps a TON!
People want life easy..then complain about it

Onça Killer

• "Aqui tem coragem"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
So I managed to do it in Lightspeed, both lightspeed and RomLister are very similiar, I just tought that the first one was a little easier to get along with.

So I did as you said, I filtered the games and use the button in the bottom of the software's window (wich i didn't pay attention to in the first time) to make a copy of the roms I wanted, and then downloaded a zip file with a BIOS-pack for mame 0.185 (so i didn't have to search then in 30k files), and extracted into the folder. After I just deleted the old monstruous folder and renamed the new selected one to roms and dropped in the same place.

Now everything is just fine, like before, the only difference is that the folder went from 60GB to 8GB , wich is pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the tip akafox
Sou Serjão Berranteiro, mais conhecido como matador de onça,
É a verdade, não minto.
Confio no Pai Eterno sempre, aqui estou e vou estar!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »
Glad I could help! :D I forgot about lightspeed. Thanks for reminding me! :)
People want life easy..then complain about it