Author Topic: Launching mame from AM hangs (mac)  (Read 101 times)

cressie176

• View Profile
Launching mame from AM hangs (mac)
« on: April 07, 2024, 12:26:44 PM »
Hello.

I'm trying to get AM working with mame on an Intel Mac. Mame works fine from the command line, but hangs at the game information screen when I launch from AM.

My setup is as follows...

• I've installed AM 2.6.1
  • I've installed mame 0.264 via macports. The binary is /opt/local/libexec/mame/mame
  • I've created a mame like directory structure in ~/Applications/mame
  • I've downloaded the circus rom and all the bios files from a 0.264 romset into the ~/Applications/mame/roms folder

The following launches the game as expected

Code: [Select]
cd ~/Applications/mame
/opt/local/libexec/mame/mame circus

However, if I launch the game from AM it hangs on mame's game information screen. To further debug I added the -window, -verbose and -log command arguments. MacOS reports that the application is not responding and I get the spinning wheel of death when I focus on the mame window. Calling ps -ef shows the following

501  3182  3100   0  7:40pm ??         0:01.51 /opt/local/libexec/mame/mame circus -window -verbose -log
The contents of the mame error.log is

<U+FEFF>[:screen] :screen: Deprecated legacy Old Style screen configured (set_vblank_time), please use set_raw instead.
Soft reset
[:cchip] ':cchip:upd7811' (01F4) port F written ff
[:cchip] ':cchip:upd7811' (0221) port F written ff

I've attached my attract.cfg, MAME.cfg files. I haven't created a custom mame.ini file.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you

PS. I also tried running attract from the command line with the --loglevel set to debug. I've attached the output. I'm curious about the line near the bottom...

- Pause Hotkey pressed, sending SIGSTOP signal to process 5448
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 12:41:36 PM by cressie176 »

cressie176

• View Profile
Re: Launching mame from AM hangs (mac)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 12:47:23 PM »
I think there might be a bug with AM's mame emulator configuration. The pause_hotkey value is set to "$HOME/Applications/mame/marquee" however the AM UI doesn't even show this option (see screenshot). I haven't edited the file manually

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 12:49:23 PM by cressie176 »

cressie176

• View Profile
Re: Launching mame from AM hangs (mac)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 12:50:53 PM »
Removing the pause_hotkey line from the MAME.cfg file fixed the issue. I'll close this issue and report a bug.