Author Topic: Mame 2010 menu settings not saving in Attract Mode  (Read 6867 times)

Mazenblue

• View Profile
Mame 2010 menu settings not saving in Attract Mode
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
Hi everyone. I am running  attract mode on a v3 retropie. I have a word issue that for the life of me I can't fix.  For games like xmen, wrestlefest, tapper, etc. Which use the mame2010 core, I want to disable the UI Mame config menu. For some reason one of my arcade button triggers the menu even though it's not set to tab. I am able to disable menu by simply changing the input from tab to none in the general settings of the mame config menu and it works untill I reset the game and then everything is over written by the retroarch config.

The strange thing is when in emulation station everything saves just fine, and it does not in attract. If I knew the command it proper config I would disable the menu but I can't seem to find it. I also though it would be easier to switch to a different emulator so I would have to deal with this problem, will it seems that xmen and wrestfest only work with mame2010 every other version doesn't work out gives me a rom error. So I am stuck trying to figure this out, any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:24:17 AM by Mazenblue »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
Re: Mame 2010 menu settings not saving in Attract Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
I have found a similar problem also. My solution was to exit AM and enter Mame itself and change the button config from there.  Hope this helps.
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

Mazenblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
What do you mean enter Mame itself? Can you explain how so I can try it out? Thanks for your help!

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
ok... first i have found attract mode conflicts  with other frontends. attract mode is all you need to run mame perfectly. but when you configure mame while in attract mode it doesnt save correctly. or at least it hasnt for me. also all config files have to be set to read and write. not {read only}. thats done in the properties of the files... if you enter mame by double clicking the mame exe you can configure everything in the options menu... i.e. inputs , advanced , or what have you. im not sure about mame 2010 ive been using newer versions. im pretty new to this stuff also. ive been learning as i go... lol.. but i have learned alot in past couple of months...

any rate...

you need to manually configure all your mame stuff first in mame and then what ever front end you use second. i tryed all other front ends from retroarch to lakka to mala and many others inbetween. and attract mode seems to be the BEST by far. once you get past the learning of it it becomes EXTREMELY easy.

now somtimes the guys on here take a day or 4 to answer but they seem to know alot and can answer just about any question you have.

raygun , akafox , and keilmillerjr seem to be the best to ask. if im forgetting anyone my apologies these 3 seem to answer most questions. or at least my questions...lol.

i hope this helps
best regards and good luck.
cheers and game on !!
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

Mazenblue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »
Thanks so much for your response! I'll give it a shot

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:58:23 AM »
This also applies to saving games. Is there anyway to change this in the next update maybe. That would probably be the one thing and only thing I would change on this front end. Other than that I would say its perfect.

littlecharlie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:51:05 AM »
Similar problem here.
When in mame64 after being launch trough AM, it seems any change won't be saved:
- Any change redefining controls (pressing TAB) won't be saved the next time you play.
- If you play a CHD game, like SFIII, and you wait for like 30 minutes to load, you can play OK, but next time, it will have to load again!
- No highscore saving is possible.

Any solution or the only way around is to make any changes directly in mame?

theamity9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 04:19:30 AM »
I had a topic for this too. No one had a solution unfortunately

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2235.0

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
I'm just curious about how you are exiting mame. Do you have a button mapped as escape or are you using the "exit hotkey" option in a/m and using something other that escape.

Barky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
I thought I would help by giving my experience with this issue. In attract mode, you can set a hotkey to exit the emulator, which hard closes the emulator every time. The problem is, if you do this with mame, the settings you made to controls will not save. This also includes games with saved profiles (I was having a lot of trouble figuring out why my profile in NBA Hangtime would not be saved from session to session). The only way to save those settings is by exiting mame the "normal" way, whatever hotkey you have specified in Mame (usually esc). It seems that mame doesn't actually save settings until you close the mame window, but if you force close it using the hotkey in attract mode, it's as if you killed the process and mame won't save those settings.

Now, the problem with that is the problem I'm having currently. If you use a hotkey to close mame the "normal" way, attract mode will not focus back into view (this is on windows). You have to hit alt-tab and attract mode will come back immediately, but if you don't, you will sit at a frozen mame screen indefinitely. This is obviously annoying and not ideal for us with no keyboard attached to our arcade computers. So, it's kind of a rock and a hard place, either close via attract mode and not have settings save, or close by mame and not have attract mode come back in focus. Before anyone mentions resfix, I do have that installed and working. Hopefully this helps with troubleshooting, since I don't currently have a solution. There's another user with a program on this forum that runs in the background and shows a black screen in between transitions that is supposed to help, but it seems unnecessary to me.