Author Topic: Video snaps play slowly and will eventually crash AM on RP3  (Read 6934 times)

Mowki

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm using Floob's RetroPie image v0.4 on my Raspberry Pi 3. I downloaded a bunch of video snaps from this link - http://www.arcadepunk.co.uk/download-hyperspin-video-media/ - and used FileZilla to drag and drop them into the proper directories. A lot of them play just fine, but some of them will play a frame every three or four seconds with audio intact. If I leave it playing it'll eventually crash Attract Mode and bring me to the terminal.

I've found that converting them to FLV using Adobe Media Encoder helps a few of them play perfectly. For the ones that still have trouble playing, I can reduce the resolution by half and they play just fine, but 320x240 videos look less than ideal on a 1080p screen. I'm not quite sure what the deal is since everything plays just fine in Kodi. Does anyone know of a way to get these playing more smoothly? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:31:29 PM by Mowki »

Floob

• View Profile
Re: Video snaps play slowly and will eventually crash AM on RP3
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »
That links to HQ videos, you need smaller files / SQ.
Try these
http://www.progettosnaps.net/videosnaps/
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

martinjo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:02:35 PM »
Any idea why this is happening? For me videos play perfectly sometimes and crashes the pi the next time. Seems strange to me... :/

grippie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »
Hey guys, I know this is old but I wanted to respond since I had the same issue.  I had the hd movies (640 x 480 @59)  from emumovies and they would lag after a few seconds, but only certain games.  I found the solution by reformatting them from 59 frames per second to 30 fps.  I used a free program called winx video converter.  It was fast to convert and now all of the videos play great. 

Guess the software renderer can't keep up.  The hd AM intro vid dies on the pi 3 so this all makes sense.  I'll just convert everything to 30 fps which is almost indistinguishable from 59 because most old games ran at a locked 30 anyways.  File size is 1/3 as well. 

bkart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for this solution. A percentage of my scraped video snaps would always be choppy in attract mode and emulationstation themes with video support.  Looked like satellite TV in a thunderstorm. It was driving me crazy because I couldn't find anyone else discussing the issue, plus the videos worked fine when played on my PC.  Sure enough those videos were 60 fps and reducing them to 30 fps fixed it.

mholgatem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
What did you guys use to reduce your frame rate? is there a good batching tool to do this?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »
What did you guys use to reduce your frame rate? is there a good batching tool to do this?

If your using a Mac, you could use Automator to run a shell script sending to ffmpeg on a folder of files. You would have to google for examples.