Author Topic: Can you use/port over a theme from Launchbox?  (Read 5082 times)

denmiclaw

• View Profile
Can you use/port over a theme from Launchbox?
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:41:28 AM »
Is it possible to adapt, or port a theme/layout from Launchbox?   And if so, would anyone be interested in tackling one?

Thanks!

bundangdon

• View Profile
Re: Can you use/port over a theme from Launchbox?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
Not 100% certain about this but you probably can't since launchbox/bigbox uses XAML to make themes, and attractmode uses Squirrel, an entirely different programming language, or at least from what (little) I've gathered. However, there may be some similarities between the two languages which could make it possible in the future? On a related note, you can use/port themes from hyperspin. I've seen it done before and there are some tutorials here on the forums on how to import hyperspin themes if you choose to do so. Hope this helps :)

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »
Depending on the complexity, it might be fairly easy to recreate one in Attractmode. If the theme's graphics are available and it doesn't involve a lot of animation, it's probably no big deal to recreate it. If there's a lot of fancy animation, that'll take a lot more time.

denmiclaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 05:32:17 AM »
The theme is called Retrofresh - I spoke to the creator, he's ok with me trying to adapt if for Attract Mode. 

The background is a snapshot, which allows the colors from the snapshot to show through the different glass windows.  Each game's snap lends different colors to the screen, which is the main thing I liked.   I didnt know if it is possible to achieve this in Attract Mode?.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:38:54 AM by denmiclaw »

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:03 AM »
that is pretty much a adaptation of RetroFE layout called Flatio.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
This could be created in attract with relative ease. The overlay could even be done with something simple like paint.net.