Author Topic: Any chance of an attract mode selfboot?  (Read 3562 times)

Jawbraeka

• View Profile
Any chance of an attract mode selfboot?
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
Is there any way to compile an image of a self booting attract mode? Similar to openelec or librelec?

Would love to see this but I honestly don't have the first clue on even having an idea of how to do this.. As I have seen Kodi being able to boot in its own environment.. Why not this?

The reason I ask also.. I have an odroid xu4 and want to make a dedicated emubox without the hassle of an over qualified OS.. Just for the purposes of games and emulation.. Might be handy to have a small file manager just for transferring ROMs.

Any ideas.. Or is there a really easy method of installing this app onto my emmc via a minimized os, with no real additions with a file manager and attract mode.

rcampbel3

• View Profile
Re: Any chance of an attract mode selfboot?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »
Sure. Just use Linux.

Your quick win is to start with a Raspberry Pi running a retropie image as listed her: http://attractmode.org/download.html

Then if you decide that you need/want a more powerful system, just start with Ubuntu linux on x64 and follow the retropie install guide and either try to stick as close as possible to the ARM install on raspberry pi's or... just build attract mode from source on linux, and figure out your emulator settings one at a time.

Once that's done, you can configure attract mode to autostart with your window manager.

Jawbraeka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
Is Ubuntu able to be used as an image for an SD card then installed onto an emmc module?

Just simply sick of using unfamiliar Linux distros and want something simple.. Has a file manager and could selfboot attract mode.. Also the odroid hasn't developed a simple mindset of just making an SD image which will install onto an emmc module (lineageOS is the only one that I know that does exactly that and white well.).. This is tempting me over to getting a raspberry pi and finishing my project, which is a school desk converted to a game playing station. 

Thanks.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Use lakka and figure out how to install attractmode?