Author Topic: Help Installing on Ubuntu 19.04  (Read 8616 times)

rattfink

• View Profile
Help Installing on Ubuntu 19.04
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
Has anyone tried installing attractmode on Ubuntu 19.04? I did a fresh install on an old laptop, got MAME up and running, and am trying to install a front end and throw everything in an arcade cabinet i picked up. I'm having issues installing this software. I get errors stating there is no release file. Is it because i'm running too new a version of Ubuntu? Is there any way around this? Linux newbie here, still learning all this stuff!

pecosdave

• View Profile
Re: Help Installing on Ubuntu 19.04
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:38:32 AM »
There's really not enough info to go on.  We need more context to know when and where that error pops up so we even have a clue as to what part of the system we're trouble-shooting.

I made a video walk-through on how to do this and something else on a Debian/Ubuntu drerived system.  It has lots of links and written documentation.  The opening part of the video/documentation has to do with installing Attractmode.  It moves on to other things from there.

Take a look, this might answer your question.  If it doesn't be very specific about what part of the process the break-down happens in.

https://davetech.asuscomm.com/attract/

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
I had a heck of a time installing it on Linux. I eventually had to go with an older version. I eventually gave up on it because my videos kept locking up. Apparently my video drivers were not supported.

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
To me, in Lubuntu 16.04 it works perfectly for me on a Samsung N120 Netbook with 2GB of RAM from 2009. :-[
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

rattfink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 05:40:00 AM »
There's really not enough info to go on.  We need more context to know when and where that error pops up so we even have a clue as to what part of the system we're trouble-shooting.

I made a video walk-through on how to do this and something else on a Debian/Ubuntu drerived system.  It has lots of links and written documentation.  The opening part of the video/documentation has to do with installing Attractmode.  It moves on to other things from there.

Take a look, this might answer your question.  If it doesn't be very specific about what part of the process the break-down happens in.

https://davetech.asuscomm.com/attract/

Thanks for being willing to help! And for the great information! First i try to install the repository  by typing the following in a terminal: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daveg/attract

Then the breakdown happens and I get all the errors of there not being a release file. I understand there is not an update for my version of Ubuntu, but can't I install it for the previous version? Here's a screen capture of what happened:

rattfink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 05:45:09 AM »
To me, in Lubuntu 16.04 it works perfectly for me on a Samsung N120 Netbook with 2GB of RAM from 2009. :-[
My laptop might be older than that :'( It's an old Thinkpad Intel Core 2 Duo, 3gb of ram. Should be enough for old arcade games though.

rattfink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:46:33 AM »
I had a heck of a time installing it on Linux. I eventually had to go with an older version. I eventually gave up on it because my videos kept locking up. Apparently my video drivers were not supported.
I'm having some video/graphic issues I need to sort out also. I THINK this laptop has Nvidia graphics, so I will try to find updated drivers.

pecosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »
First i try to install the repository  by typing the following in a terminal: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daveg/attract

Yeah, I've always had a break-down at that point.  I've never once successfully installed AttractMode via repository/.deb files.  There's a version mismatch of something or another every time I've ever tried.

It compiles from source a lot easier than figuring out the repository issues.  I've compiled it from source on at least four occasions now, I've tried it from packages at least three times.

rattfink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »
First i try to install the repository  by typing the following in a terminal: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daveg/attract

Yeah, I've always had a break-down at that point.  I've never once successfully installed AttractMode via repository/.deb files.  There's a version mismatch of something or another every time I've ever tried.

It compiles from source a lot easier than figuring out the repository issues.  I've compiled it from source on at least four occasions now, I've tried it from packages at least three times.

Well I do appreciate all the tips. I've looked at your videos and website. I've scoured the web for help also. I may be too much of a Linux noob to get this operational. I'm trying to compile it, but still running into issues that I just don't understand. I know just enough about Linux to be dangerous. Current issue:

rattfink

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
see pic

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »
Did you install the packages that are reported as missing? Most of them listed in the compilation instructions as requirements.

If not, this should install their development versions (-dev) that are needed for compilation:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt install libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev openal-dev

You may also need their runtime files to run AM after its compilation. Look up their names without "-dev" on https://packages.ubuntu.com/ to find their full package names for Ubuntu 19.04 (disco), e.g. "libswscale5". Then exchange their -dev names with those in the above command.

Finally, although your screenshot doesn't show them, you also may need swresample or avresample in their dev and/or runtime versions, since they are also listed in the compilation instructions.

edit: By the way, it would be better if you'd post any errors etc. as text in a code block like I did with my command above. Screenshots take up a lot of space, can only be seen by logged in users, and don't allow quoting or copy & paste if someone wants to address specific parts of them. Just a friendly advice. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:38:07 PM by Favdeacon »

pecosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 12:11:14 PM »
Favdeacon gives good advice.

When something is missing when trying to compile you need to install it.  If you've got a full GUI going on load up your package manager (I like synaptic) and just look for the name of the missing package.  If you don't have a full blown GUI you can type:

apt list |grep -i missing-item

You should find the name of the package that has the missing item - probably.  Then you can apt install the missing item.

rattfink

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
After trying many things, I re-booted my system and it was taking forever. There was all kinds of script running and running and running. I went to work, came home, still booting.... 12 hours later. I don't know what I did, but I was about to give up on everything. I re-installed Ubuntu and decided to try using retropie with emulationstation. I had that all working within 2 hours. I may just stick with that...... I really like how attract mode looks, but I may use it with a Windows system as that would be more my level at this point. I'll stick with retropie/emulationstation for Ubuntu. Thanks everyone who took time to help me, I really do appreciate it!

erevans

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 12:10:35 AM »
I have compiled attract on raspbian lite and arch linux quite a few times without issues. 🤔