Author Topic: Animate transitions between displays  (Read 1746 times)

j.e.f.f

• View Profile
Animate transitions between displays
« on: July 15, 2020, 03:39:05 AM »
Hello.  I've been looking for a way to animate the transition from one display to another.  What I would like is for when I press the RIGHT button on the D-Pad, the current display animates in its entirety to the left off screen, while the new display animates in from the right.  Similarly, a press of the LEFT key animates the current display away to the right, and the new display animates in from the left.  Essentially, the way emulationstation works by default.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there an automated way to do this?  Maybe a setting in Attract Mode that I've overlooked?  A clever module that someone has written to take care of this?

2. If not, is there a way to group items in the theme so that I can animate them in one go?  Say I make a "container" called screen, and add all of the UI elements -- wheel, snap video, cartridge, boxart, background, etc. to this container. Then on keypress RIGHT or LEFT I can simply animate the "screen" object as I see fit and everything just animates with it.

3. As above, how do I then tell the next display which side to animate in from?  Is there a way to have variables that persist from one display to the next?  I've written a single layout theme for all my displays, so they all share the same code base.

As always, all help is appreciated!
 - Jeff