Author Topic: AM + Rocketlauncher + Generating Rom List?  (Read 7132 times)

boon_nz

• View Profile
AM + Rocketlauncher + Generating Rom List?
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:49:26 AM »
Hi all,

I have used rocketlauncher to tidy up launching of emulators and avoiding seeing the background, mouse etc when launching. It works well but i've run into a problem.

To use Rocketlauncher the emulator cfg files need to have:

"executable           C:\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe
args                 -s "[emulator]" -r "[name]" -p AttractMode -f "C:\Attract-Mode\attract.exe"

It works fine for launching until I go to regenerate the rom list (with additional games) and ofcourse that runs rocketlauncher which doesn't appear to work.

For anyone that uses rocketlauncher + AM, do you know how to make this work?

Can I have a separate command in the .cfg for generating the romlist?

At the moment i'm editing the config file, updating the romlist and editing it back again. I'm hoping there is a better way....

Thanks for reading!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: AM + Rocketlauncher + Generating Rom List?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »
boonz-

Just for a sanity check. When you setup rocketlauncher, using rockerlauncherUI, did you make AM the active front-end? If I recall there is a frontend sub tab under the rocketUI tab. Once AM is made the active frontend, all the default systems should be generated. Then you can setup the emulators and rom paths under rocketUI as well.

The only thing that needs to setup on the AM side is the emulator name and path. Everything else should be handled by rocketlaucher. It's been awhile since I setup rocketlaucher with AM but that should be the gist of it.   

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
I've never used rocket launcher..however...

try to point your executable to just the emulator (ex. path/mame.exe) then build your list...then put the rocket launcher exe line back..

this way AM will use the mame.exe to generate the list instead of trying to use rocket launcher..after it's all put back everything should launch fine no?
People want life easy..then complain about it

boon_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 12:29:05 AM »
Hi Omegaman and Akafox,

Omegaman, yes AM is set as the frontend.

Akafox, yes, that will work, I guess i'll need to keep 2x sets of config files, 1 for use and 1 for updating rom lists.

I was hoping there may be a more elegant solution. I would like to keep rocketlauncher because it has really tidied up the tricky emulators.

Thanks

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
Thanks, it never hurts to check the simple stuff first, right? Otherwise, I might be chasing another rabbit which I tend to do sometimes from poor reading comprehension.

Anyway, I take it you're using AM to generate the romlist, right? And, there is nothing wrong with that method. But, have you tried importing your list from the cmd line? Say, with something like the hyperspin databases (emulator.xml) for example. With AM, you can import xmls on the command line with relative ease. And, the good thing about using the XML databases is they are usually updated for you. I use them myself, all my romlist for AM are generated by using xml DB files.

If you want to give it a try, just grab whatever emulator.xml you want to use and drop it into your AM root folder. Then drop to the cmd line, and type attract -i mame.xml mame.  The latter is the name of the emulator which should be setup prior to running this command. This whole process only takes a few seconds.