Author Topic: Exiting game to AM on arcade machine  (Read 6024 times)

goz

• View Profile
Exiting game to AM on arcade machine
« on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
Hi all -- I cannot for the life of me figure out how to exit a game in order to return to the AM front end.

I've searched the forum and one post said you have to assign the buttons in a menu option called 'UI Cancel', but it's not listed in any of the AM menus I can see.

I just want to be able to press the Player 1 and 2 start buttons simultaneously to quit out of a Mame game back to the AM select screen. Is this possible?

Any help v gratefully received for this n00b question.

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: Exiting game to AM on arcade machine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:23:18 AM »
@ goz
start AM > press TAB key > Emulators > choose your emulator-display > choose Exit Hotkey > press your desired buttons simultaneously
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »
I've searched the forum and one post said you have to assign the buttons in a menu option called 'UI Cancel', but it's not listed in any of the AM menus I can see.

I just want to be able to press the Player 1 and 2 start buttons simultaneously to quit out of a Mame game back to the AM select screen. Is this possible?

Run MAME and press the "Tab" key (to enter MAME configuration mode) and then go to the menu that has the "UI Cancel" controller setting (Config settings -> input general -> user interface -> ui cancel = esc) and press the buttons you desire. This isn't an AM setting.

NOT RECOMMENDED - You could also set AM using Configure-->Emulators-->system_name-->Exit Hotkey=X

P.S. You didn't tell us your hardware, OS or version of MAME, these thing might be a factor in fixing your issue.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:39:14 PM by progets »

goz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:16 AM »

Run MAME and press the "Tab" key (to enter MAME configuration mode) and then go to the menu that has the "UI Cancel" controller setting and press the buttons you desire. This isn't an AM setting.

NOT RECOMMENDED - You could also set AM using Configure-->Emulators-->system_name-->Exit Hotkey=X

P.S. You didn't tell us your hardware, OS or version of MAME, these thing might be a factor in fixing your issue.

Are you saying it's better to set this up in MAME rather than in thew Attract Mode emulator menu?

I'm using a MiniKab3 (Windows 7, latest ver of Mame 0.95].

In Mame I can't find the mapping option in the menu [see attachments]

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 02:58:12 AM »
Config settings -> input general -> user interface -> ui cancel

Defaul: ESC

goz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 04:23:49 AM »
Config settings -> input general -> user interface -> ui cancel

Defaul: ESC

Thank you! This works perfectly now.

As @projets warned, the Attract Mode solution (i.e. Configure-->Emulators-->system_name-->Exit Hotkey=X) does not cleanly quit to the front end, so the Mame side solution is the one I am going to stick with.