Author Topic: Linux install  (Read 14899 times)

slippyblade

• View Profile
Linux install
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »
I am feeling remarkably stupid.  Please help me.

I've been having issues with windows machines not liking to work with AM properly.  Decided to try a linux install instead.  Here's my problem...

I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to install AM.  I've got Debian up and running.  I DL'd the .deb package for AM and now have no idea what to do with it.  I'm used to using apt to install software from the repository, so am absolutely clueless here.

slippyblade

• View Profile
Re: Linux install
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »
Ok, I think I'm doing this right but I'm getting an error.

Dependency not satisfiable.  libavresample (>= 6:9.16-0ubuntu0.14.04.1)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:25 AM »
Did you use the AM install wiki for Linux? If you follow it to the letter, you shouldn't have any major issues. The only time I ran into issues is when I didn't follow the wiki because my Linux skills were a little rusty. I ran into one dependency issue that was self explanatory.  AM needed Xandr libs when compiling. I am running raspbian wheezy though.

Here is the wiki link you should be using: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki. And, you can always give nitrogen's image a try, it has everything you need.   

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »
I'm not compiling anything.  I downloaded the .deb file from the downloads section of the website.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:37:55 AM »
Ah, OK. I think akafox made those. I think for deb you need these dependencies:

apt-get install build-essential pkg-config git libfontconfig-dev libopenal-dev sfml-dev libavutil-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavfilter-dev libswscale-dev libavresample-dev.

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
God damn it.  NOTHING is working.  Even trying to compile it I'm getting retarded errors.

I've installed Debian Jessie, straight from the Debian website.  Installed it with no problems. 

Doing a direct copy/paste of the instructions from the Git page gives me "Unable to locate package sfml-dev" and I can't find a way to get the damn thing.

What the hell?  I am not a noob, I've been doing this stuff for 30 freaking years and am beating my head against a spiked block wall!!!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
Slippy-

On deb this should work: 

sudo apt-get install libsfml-dev

You also mentioned that you had some problems with AM on windows, right? What version did you try? And, was it the 32bit or 64bit version? I would try the 32bit version if you haven't already done so.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
Also, on windows I would try rolling back to 1.52 and see if the stuttering you reported on a different thread is still there. That way we can verify if a bug was introduced in the latest versions. I can even upload ver 1.51 if you want to try that too. Thanks...   

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »
Finally making some headway.  Apparently apt-get is configured to look for a CD with a repo image instead of going online.  Had to comment out the CD section in Sources.list in the etc/apt directory.

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
the .deb still is not working, exact same error.  However, the compile method *almost* worked.  It started compiling and crashed out with compile errors.

Code: [Select]
src/fe_present.cpp: In member function ‘FeShader* FePresent::add_shader(FeShader::Type, const char*, const char*)’:
src/fe_present.cpp:491:5: error: ‘FileInputStream’ is not a member of ‘sf’
     sf::FileInputStream fs1;
     ^
src/fe_present.cpp:492:5: error: ‘fs1’ was not declared in this scope
     fs1.open( path + shader1 );
     ^
src/fe_present.cpp:494:5: error: ‘FileInputStream’ is not a member of ‘sf’
     sf::FileInputStream fs2;
     ^
src/fe_present.cpp:495:5: error: ‘fs2’ was not declared in this scope
     fs2.open( path + shader2 );
     ^
src/fe_present.cpp:512:5: error: ‘FileInputStream’ is not a member of ‘sf’
     sf::FileInputStream fs;
     ^
src/fe_present.cpp:513:5: error: ‘fs’ was not declared in this scope
     fs.open( path + shader1 );
     ^
Makefile:312: recipe for target 'obj/fe_present.o' failed

Slowly making headway.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »
ok slippy. first sorry the forum being down i couldn't help you. now source forge is up I can do this! Yes i made the linux debs. and yes they DO work..however...they work for ubuntu 14.04 base (trusty thar) I know this because i wiped my system to install a 32-bit build..I just reinstalled it.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=189.msg1089#msg1089

I love my mame cab on linux it runs smoother than windows...once i can get to that point! lol
People want life easy..then complain about it

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »
No need to apologize about the forum, shit happens.

I'll grab that version/distro and give it a try, thanks!

ronimc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
Hello friend. Install Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint or LXLE. In new Ubuntu 15.04 and Debian 8, the deb not install (dependency error). I'm using LXLE and works wonderfully. Sorry for bad english.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:36 PM »
Hey slippy,

I don't understand why you'd be getting that compiler error, I'm not getting it here and I'm on debian as well.... hmmm... so I went and tweaked the file you are failing on so that the compile should get further along for you now.  Just do a "git pull origin master" in your attractmode source directory to update to the latest if you want to try the compile method again....

cheers

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 10:16:43 PM »
Raygun

If I read that right it is working in 14.04, but he is having problems with 15.04. Yeah a lot of dependencies will not pull down in 15.04 I had to grab them all from the ubuntu website. Although I have not tried to compile or make a deb with 15.04 yet. Not sure it would make a difference...would it? I posted a list of the needed dependencies on this thread above. If compiling it on 15.04 and making a deb will make a difference let me know! :)
People want life easy..then complain about it