Author Topic: Best Portrait / Vertical / Cocktail Themes?  (Read 15536 times)

RandoCalrisian

• View Profile
Best Portrait / Vertical / Cocktail Themes?
« on: December 29, 2016, 06:37:45 AM »
After a decent amount of browsing for good portrait/vertical/cocktail themes, I decided to just ask if there are favorites among AM users here.

Best one I've come across so far is dualistV:
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=623.msg4450

I was very excited about the flat blue theme, but it runs very poorly on a RPi3:
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=277.0

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Best Portrait / Vertical / Cocktail Themes?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:53:49 AM »
I'm (secretly) working on vertical only theme - but I need some feedback if this can be 3:4 aspect only or if there are vertical screen enthusiasts with 10:16 or 9:16 screens.

...and it will be really easy on resources yet good looking

RandoCalrisian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:19:17 AM »
I'm (secretly) working on vertical only theme - but I need some feedback if this can be 3:4 aspect only or if there are vertical screen enthusiasts with 10:16 or 9:16 screens.

I would imagine most folks are using 16x9 monitors due to their proliferation in our current world.  That's not to say there aren't folks using 4x3 or even 16x10, but I don't think that makes them the most common.

I'm looking forward to your future work!

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »
Yes, I'd like to see what you are coming up with. The flat_blue does scale perfectly, but for the system select it doesn't look good because of the way the space is used. Keep in mind my screen is 32" and rotated vertically...768x1366.

The first attachment shows what I mean with Flat Blue...I'm using the second screen primarily...still tweaking though.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »
FLAT BLUE first concept was made as a practical exercise to support discussion about aspect-aware themes that I've started long time ago.
Back then - all available themes were 4:3 horizontal - except cools vertical theme.

And this exercise clearly shows that designing one theme that will look great for horizontal and vertical screen - while it's possible - it's not the best approach.

It looks kind-a-ok for 3:4 screen

But 9:16 is simply too narrow for the theme with side menu.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
Well put... The 3:4 still looks good...If you want someone to test your vertical theme, I'm willing. The theme I use now is mostly yours.

RandoCalrisian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
FLAT BLUE first concept was made as a practical exercise to support discussion about aspect-aware themes that I've started long time ago.
Back then - all available themes were 4:3 horizontal - except cools vertical theme.

And this exercise clearly shows that designing one theme that will look great for horizontal and vertical screen - while it's possible - it's not the best approach.

It looks kind-a-ok for 3:4 screen

But 9:16 is simply too narrow for the theme with side menu.

Cools vertical theme?
Link?

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
It was build in in AM around version 1.5 - but before you start searching check "Cools" theme that is already build-in (in all versions). Just check if you like it first - it's very "minimal" - only full screen vid + current game name + wheel graphics, no game list.

Build-in version is for horizontal screen and Cools-vertical is basically the same only for vertical.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:13:00 PM by verion »

djrobx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
I hacked Robospin for vertical use.    Not perfect, some aspect ratio issues, but good enough for me for now.    I do think dedicated vertical layouts are better in general, but on my 3 sided cab I wanted a more uniform look when you switch sides.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »
Not saying t’s the best theme, but my flavors layout will do just fine in tate mode. I can provide an update to fix the crt scan line shader in tate mode. Not cocktail friendly. If I had a cocktail cab (on my want list), I’d probably take the time to make it work for that use.

connorlo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »

Running a 9:16 screen here in vertical, let me know when/if you need some testers as I'm more than happy to try it out.

:)

Arcadefan1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
Hi guys!
I am working on a vertical only theme for CRT only. I have no idea about coding, so I only put together the work of others. So it is not "my" theme. I used verticools as a starting point...

The features are:
- scrolling text with info from history.dat
- show marquee and cab at push of button
- show game flyer at push of button
- favorite icon

Take a look at the screenshot and video in attachment...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Obiwantje

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 01:30:17 AM »
I am REALLY liking what you did there - thanks for that video share - Any BETA version we get to try ?

Arcadefan1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 06:07:04 AM »
I have lost track of what I have done to what file. I never planned to release it. So if you or someone else is interested, I am happy to mail my zipped AM folder to someone. It is about 10 MB without the .exe. So I couldn't just post it here. Maybe someone with more skills than me could make a theme from it...

xefned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 04:16:09 AM »
I'm REALLY liking what you've done there too - especially the scrolling description at the bottom. Very unobtrusive; the player can read it if interested without it taking up a lot of screen real estate.