Author Topic: Filtering clones other than MAME?  (Read 2533 times)

Asterra

• View Profile
Filtering clones other than MAME?
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
As the topic suggests, I'm hoping there exist ways of filtering clones for other platforms besides MAME.  In MAME's case, AttractMode can make use of certain text files to get this done.  Right now, for example, I'm trying to get my Atari 2600 collection sorted.  There are DAT file resources for the 2600 and others, but I don't know whether AttractMode has the means for processing them.

Barring that approach, I'm looking for suggestions.  If I begin with, say, Good2600, with its literal dozens of clones and hacks for each game, what can I use to pare it down to only games that provide essentially unique iterations?  Googling around led me to an app from 12 years ago called Romsorter, which I did locate, but which fails to run under any circumstance on my modestly modern OS.  Other than that, I don't have any good ideas.  I can't simply move filenames with certain strings, because that would capture, e.g., games that were exclusive to certain territories.

Nick

• View Profile
Re: Filtering clones other than MAME?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
Sorry, I'm not exactly answering your question, but it might help anyway.
I started with a bunch of GoodSets and they have tons of clones, hack, bad dumps and so on.
I ended up switching to No-Intro and that solved most issues, while reducing the number of times I had to scroll around to find something.
Basically went from quantity to quality.
Maybe something you'd like to consider as an alternative.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Filtering clones other than MAME?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
I used RomDeleter it finds the hack and clones ect...you can even make your own search criteria. Works well!
However..it does exactly as it says! so make a copy of your set first..then use that. After you have everything shaved down you can delete your rom pack.

Here it is..but heed my warning!

https://sites.google.com/site/plumology/romdeleter
People want life easy..then complain about it