Author Topic: Version 1.5.2  (Read 26193 times)

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Version 1.5.2
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »
A new release, a new release!  There have been some exciting advances in the past few months...

New Features:

• Raspberry pi support.  Thanks to nitrogen_widget for digging into this and helping to get it up and running!
  • Multiple monitor support (Windows and Linux)
  • Artwork scraper added to automatically download missing snapshots, marquees, wheel logos, flyers, boxart and even fanart images.
  • Improved support for different image formats.
  • Spanish translation (thanks Seru!)
  • Added fade effect module for layouts (see reflect layout and the fanart background option in cools' layout)

Bug Fixes:

• Keep focus if keys get mashed during startup and Attract-Mode is the windows shell
  • Fixed jarring video resets in the filter-grid layout
  • Various fixes for MaLa layout loading
  • Fix for audio decoding after an error occurs

Download at: http://attractmode.org/download.html

Here is a video of AM running on a 256MB Rasp Pi 1 with one of omegaman's layouts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YQh1Xs8HhI0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:01:45 PM by raygun »

retrogam3

• View Profile
Re: Version 1.5.2
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
Am I safe to assume that all I need to do to upgrade is only replace the exe file if I want everything else to stay in tact? Also haven't said this before but AM is amazing, best FE I've ever used!

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »
Multiple monitor support (Windows and Linux).

Sweet.

and your welcome.
AM rocks on the RPI.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:16:15 AM »
Raygun-

Thank you, Stellar work as always. And, thank you too nitro for all your contributions to the community. 

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
Omega - your Vert layout was the icing on the cake.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »
OK! coooooool :) Oh rasp pi sweet! instructions on how to build it inside the read me I hope! I'll get a deb out for you penguins as soon as I can. Speaking of which..Ray would you put them on the downloads page for them so that they don't have to hunt for it? thanks!

You know..some people say that open source community software is worthless because it doesn't have money backing it. Thanks guys (testers, programmers, complainers, debuggers, artists) for proving them wrong!
People want life easy..then complain about it

two40

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »

... because it doesn't have money backing it.

Happy to change that with a donation. I can see this FE growing into something special.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
Am I safe to assume that all I need to do to upgrade is only replace the exe file if I want everything else to stay in tact? Also haven't said this before but AM is amazing, best FE I've ever used!

Hey there, thanks for the note.

Yes you should be able to simply replace the exe.  There were updates to the cools and reflect layouts that you won't get unless you copy over those layouts as well (as well as the new modules/fade.nut file) but thats only an issue if you want the new fade effect that have been added to them...

OK! coooooool :) Oh rasp pi sweet! instructions on how to build it inside the read me I hope! I'll get a deb out for you penguins as soon as I can. Speaking of which..Ray would you put them on the downloads page for them so that they don't have to hunt for it? thanks!

You know..some people say that open source community software is worthless because it doesn't have money backing it. Thanks guys (testers, programmers, complainers, debuggers, artists) for proving them wrong!

Hey akafox, thanks for preparing debs, I'll add them to the release so people can find them.  The instructions for the rpi build didn't make the readme (that would have made too much sense !) they are up on the wiki though... confirmation whether they work for anyone else would be appreciated!...

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Thanks, another great update!

Just an FYI, I noticed some initial crashes when I tried to switch layouts, although it's not happening any more. Is there anything that changed in this version in relation to the layout switching/loading? Perhaps it's corrected some values in a cfg somewhere now, so it's no longer crashing. If I can reproduce it, I'll post back in here or submit a bug report.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
Thanks, another great update!

Just an FYI, I noticed some initial crashes when I tried to switch layouts, although it's not happening any more. Is there anything that changed in this version in relation to the layout switching/loading? Perhaps it's corrected some values in a cfg somewhere now, so it's no longer crashing. If I can reproduce it, I'll post back in here or submit a bug report.

There's nothing that pops to mind that would have affected layout loading/switching directly.  The main change is a switch from SFML to FFmpeg for the image loading...  if you could track this down that would be great!

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
Could you explain the use of multiple monitors - with and without the plugin?

I have two monitors, and it seems by default it spans the whole screen across both of them. I don't see a way to not do this other than putting it in Window mode and just scaling the window to only one monitor.

I also see with the MultiMon plugin it looks like you can have artwork show up on another monitor which would be neat, but I couldn't seem to make it work (due to the issue above).

Finally, how (or can) layouts make use of multiple monitors? Is it possible for a layout to specify layouts for each monitor? Maybe a layout-monitorone.nut, layout-monitortwo.nut or something along those lines?

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »
Could you explain the use of multiple monitors - with and without the plugin?

I have two monitors, and it seems by default it spans the whole screen across both of them. I don't see a way to not do this other than putting it in Window mode and just scaling the window to only one monitor.

I also see with the MultiMon plugin it looks like you can have artwork show up on another monitor which would be neat, but I couldn't seem to make it work (due to the issue above).

Finally, how (or can) layouts make use of multiple monitors? Is it possible for a layout to specify layouts for each monitor? Maybe a layout-monitorone.nut, layout-monitortwo.nut or something along those lines?

I messed up the multiple monitor build on windows, so its not working at the moment using the pre-built windows binaries for 1.5.2.  I hope to fix this asap.

what should happen is that the layout gets displayed only on your primary monitor, and the multimon plugin can be configured to display fullscreen artworks (marquee, etc) on any extra monitors.

To access multiple monitors from a script, there is now a 'fe.monitors' array in squirrel that has an entry for each monitor (the first one being the primary monitor).  To add an image to the second monitor for example you would do something like 'fe.monitors[1].add_image( "image.png", 0, 0, 100, 100 )'... the coordinates are 0,0 for the top left corner of the monitor and fe.monitors[1].width, fe.monitors[1].height for the bottom right corner.

the script specific stuff is described further in the Layouts.md file

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Oh, very cool - so you COULD actually have a second layout on the secondary monitor :) Interesting...

No problem, I can wait for the fix, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.. thanks!

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 12:28:49 AM »
Ok, so multiple monitors on Windows should be fixed in the release posted here: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/releases/tag/v1.5.3

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »
Ok, so multiple monitors on Windows should be fixed in the release posted here: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/releases/tag/v1.5.3

It's not.  Still automatically spanning both monitors.  When set to windowed mode, it creates a window that is the width of both monitors and if you manually compress the window to just one monitor, you get your layout, but at 50% width - compressed horizontally.