Author Topic: Attract mode booting to blank screen  (Read 4749 times)

Evilish

• View Profile
Attract mode booting to blank screen
« on: January 30, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »
I updated attract mode and on reboot everything goes black. More in depth info follows.

I have a raspberry pie 3. Im new to this so i got a 128 gb card with everything pre loaded. We started using emulation station. Wanted to try out attract mode. Didnt prefer it and while trying to change it back to es accidentally hit update Attract mode and waited an hour for that to finish. Then finally it completed and i rebooted.  raspberry has a cool boot animation. Attract mode plays random arcade sounds over the top of it. That still happens however the sound stops and the screen goes black and i dont know how to interrupt the boot to get to a terminal to set it to boot to emulation station. I tried what akafox suggested in another post.  No joy. In window you can hit f2 for example and you can interupt the boot. Is there something similar in raspbian or attract mode to interupt the boot sequence and get to the terminal? Once the screen goes black keyboard commands dont seem to work but i am willing to try other key combos to see if they work. Tab does not work the f keys dont work.

Any info and suggestions would be great. Thanks.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Attract mode booting to blank screen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
I can not load my image at the moment.. however if you need to get a terminal you can press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3 or F4 of F5) that gets you to where you have control.

as for a boot interrupt you can hold shift key in noobs...however I think the build is on raspian...

so i take it attract mode was set up and still is you just want to go to ES again? have you tried the tab get to get to the setup menu of attractmode and then rebuilt the attract mode "system menu"? The only other thing I can suggest is that you SSH into your pi and change the user start files NOT the boot files) not sure how to do it exactly I can look it up if need be...

For now let it boot totally..then drop to a terminal also note that the F4 key might drop you to a terminal as well) and kill AM) enable SSH:

Code: [Select]
sudo raspi-config (press enter)
under interfacing options go down and enable SSH...
then type

Code: [Select]
ifconfig (press emter)
take note of your ip address (ex.192.168.xxx.xxx)
grab filezilla and then log in with it...that way you can get access to the files you need to change

as for EXACTLY how to do it..I'll have to get back you..unless someone beats me to it....

might be the "hard way" but better than nothing..
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attract mode booting to blank screen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:09:59 AM »
See this thread http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2098.0 and this thread http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1249.0.

Other advice...
1. boot your Pi
2. on a windows computer hold the "Windows" key and press "R" key. When the run command show type "\\retropie\configs\all\autostart.sh" and press the "Enter" key
3. modify this file to only contain "emulationstation #auto" on the first line and save the file
4. reboot the Pi and you should be back in EmulationStation
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:31:17 AM by progets »