Author Topic: PC not working  (Read 7170 times)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
PC not working
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:41:47 AM »
My PC inside my arcade machine is not working. Perhaps some one can confirm or help diagnose? It’s only 3 years old with minimal run time as I spend more time coding on my iMac than playing games.

PC was working with windows 10, crt emudriver, hd5450 OEM bios, jpac.

Video sometimes flickered when I touched pc/cable/jpac. I never really narrowed it down.

Removed PC to install new hard drive to setup for my friend. Connected vga on hd5450 to lcd. No video. Tried vga on mb as well. Also hdmi. No video. Reconnected old hard drive that was working in my arcade machine. Figured I would at least get bios. Nothing. Reconnected it to jpac and arcade machine. Nothing.

Connected new hard drive and lcd again. Removed power, battery, and moved jumper to clear bios. Perhaps my fast start setting was messing things up. Held power button for half minute while off. Turned on. Held power again. Removed power, put jumper back, reinstalled battery, powered up again. No video any ports (except dvi, didn’t try no cable). Removed video card. Tried again. No video.

Does this sound like a symptom of a bad motherboard? Perhaps physically moving it out the arcade machine and it not working was a coincidence?

Asus p8h61-1 r2.0

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PC not working
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
You say it doesn't boot. What does it do? Are there any LEDs lilt on the MB? Do the fans come on? Do you hear any audible sounds? Have you reseated connections to the MB (maybe one came loose). Have you disconnected all non-critical devices (everything but the MB, CPU and RAM) to see if it will boot?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
You say it doesn't boot. What does it do? Are there any LEDs lilt on the MB? Do the fans come on? Do you hear any audible sounds? Have you reseated connections to the MB (maybe one came loose). Have you disconnected all non-critical devices (everything but the MB, CPU and RAM) to see if it will boot?
Thank you. I tried as you suggested.

Motherboard led is lit when power applied. I press the “on” button and hold delete on my usb wireless keyboard to enter bios, nothing happens except cpu fan turning on. Tried removing ram and repeating. Tried reinserting ram and repeating with ps2 keyboard. Tried repeating power molex and repeating. Keep in mind I still have hd5450 video card out.

Still no video. Only things I can think of is mb or cpu.? I would think if quick boot messed things up, installing my original hard drive and connecting to arcade monitor would fix it - but it didn’t.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »
If the MB has video out disconnect the video card. Ideally you only want the RAM, CPU and PS connected to the MB and see if you can get a post.

Every MB I've seen is designed to show you errors on the screen or make audible tones if it can put the errors on the screen. If you can't get to this point then one of these four pieces (PS, MB, CPU or RAM) is bad.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 10:35:12 AM »
If the MB has video out disconnect the video card. Ideally you only want the RAM, CPU and PS connected to the MB and see if you can get a post.

Every MB I've seen is designed to show you errors on the screen or make audible tones if it can put the errors on the screen. If you can't get to this point then one of these four pieces (PS, MB, CPU or RAM) is bad.

Video card was pulled out to eliminate that variable. I’ll test tomorrow for voltage from psu with my multimeter. My unit at home kids play with and kill batteries. No onboard speaker. If psu has proper voltage, and I have no way to measure amps that small loom, maybe I buy another ram stick and try? It wouldn’t go to waste since most boards have two slots? Any suggestion for a replacement mini atx if I get stuck? Do any refurbished computer come with that size I could yank it out?

Thank you for your input. I haven’t messed with PCs in years. After a series of new DOA’s, I bought a  new Mac and been working fine for a decade.

myriadgamers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
Side note - Curious if you ever had issues with the fan coming off. I always disliked the intel stock fans that use the plastic clip system. Also if you arent getting error beeps, it could simply be the mother board doesnt have the little speaker hooked to it.

Does the mother board have a battery installed on it? like a watch battery, you could try removing and placing it back to reset the bios.
Arcade Machine 1:
AMD 8350 black 4ghz 8 Cores
20 gigs of DDR 3 Ram
500 gb SSD
4 tb Storage drive

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »
Side note - Curious if you ever had issues with the fan coming off. I always disliked the intel stock fans that use the plastic clip system. Also if you arent getting error beeps, it could simply be the mother board doesnt have the little speaker hooked to it.

Does the mother board have a battery installed on it? like a watch battery, you could try removing and placing it back to reset the bios.

Good points. It's not common but I have seen a bad battery cause a computer to not boot or show a BIOS post.

popoklo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
cant see how the pins on the mainboard for powerswitch, reset switch, hdd led etc. are pinned on your photo. I made the mistake and put those pins + and - wrong. so i had running fans, and leds but no errors.
try to only put the power pin on the mainboard. nothing else. and test if you can get a picture. and turn the power adapter + and - to look any change. i also think: ram, only power pin, psu, cpu nothing else. if it does not boot any of the components fail.
greets!

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
Interesting. I did remove the cr2032 when doing the bios reset. I actually did more than what the manual says just incase it was wrong. Will grab a new cr2032 when I get batteries for my multimeter in the morning.

I’ve had no issues with the fan coming off. Keep in mind this is the first time I have moved it, and it literally has a few hours of runtime over the past 3 years.

Will try again with the tips you guys suggested tomorrow. Off to work long ass shift. Thanks guys!

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »
Replaced battery. No video. Psu with disk and mb connected, 5.15vdc 12.24vdc at 4-pin molex, so I think the psu is good.

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 02:18:40 AM »
The PC at startup issues a series of beeps. The meaning of the beeps during the boot of the computer you can check it here:

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/38515/beep-codes
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 04:07:30 AM »
The PC at startup issues a series of beeps. The meaning of the beeps during the boot of the computer you can check it here:

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/38515/beep-codes

It has pins on the motherboard for a speaker. I’ll buy one off amazon and give it a shot. Thank you.

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 04:47:15 AM »

It has pins on the motherboard for a speaker. I’ll buy one off amazon and give it a shot. Thank you.

I once faced a somewhat similar problem and narrowed it down to a dislodged ram stick (by decoding the audio beeps). If LED lights on MB are working (and its an intel board) then this site might help decode the message: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005473/boards-and-kits.html

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
Speaker came in today. Plugged it in. No external video card or disk. Started it up and I get no sound. Disconnect power, pulled out ram, reconnect power, I get 3 beeps indicating a ram issue (obviously). Is it safe to say this is a motherboard/cpu issue?

myriadgamers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »
can I asked what proc and mother board you had in there? Could be very likely, proc issues can cause some very strange symptoms.
Arcade Machine 1:
AMD 8350 black 4ghz 8 Cores
20 gigs of DDR 3 Ram
500 gb SSD
4 tb Storage drive