Author Topic: Building a FAQ - Linux, MAME, AttractMode  (Read 17122 times)

Namachieli

• View Profile
Re: Building a FAQ - Linux, MAME, AttractMode
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
I've been documenting my buildout so I could build a guide, is that something that would be useful still?

Mine will be Ubuntu/RetroArch/DS3 via Bluetooth

I'm gearing my individual setup to be usable by multiple boxes efficiently (persistent saving across machines).
Neon 18.04 x64. i5 4690k, 16 GB RAM, EVGA GTX 750ti, DS3 SIXAXIS via BT/USB, RetroArch/libretro.

Finno

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »
I've been documenting my buildout so I could build a guide, is that something that would be useful still?

Mine will be Ubuntu/RetroArch/DS3 via Bluetooth

I'm not using RetroArch but I would be interested to hear how your build goes and what you feel it brings to your set up that you can't do otherwise.

Namachieli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
I'm not using RetroArch but I would be interested to hear how your build goes and what you feel it brings to your set up that you can't do otherwise.

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "can't do otherwise".
Neon 18.04 x64. i5 4690k, 16 GB RAM, EVGA GTX 750ti, DS3 SIXAXIS via BT/USB, RetroArch/libretro.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 07:07:31 AM »
I'm hoping the FAQ will including getting file names to match up correctly for use of history.dat.

Finno

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 12:34:48 AM »

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "can't do otherwise".

Sorry for the delayed response. I guess I was just interested in RetroArch and the advantage to using it with a Mame core over just using mame directly via AM. I don't know a lot about it and was interested in how you find it working in your set up.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
I have and mixed emotions with retroarch myself..its good for some emulators but some mot so good I think. Though on the raspberry pi on on the WII it's awesome! :)
People want life easy..then complain about it

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »
Is retroarch + Wii really that good? I've read mixed opinions.

I have a couple of Wii boxes that I've bought used - just because it was dirt cheap. I was planning to use it to emulate GameCube (via "nintendon-t") and play Rougue Squadron 2 - but didn't find enough time.

philby85

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »
I've recently tried Livemamecab and Groovy Arcade. Pretty good distro's Groovy Arcade is quite user friendly, based on arch linux. Livemamecab is good but it doesnt hold your hand at all. It's based on ubuntu

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »
 verion-

Well first if you have a wii (1st gen) you don't have to emulate any game cube games...game cube is backwards compatible with the wii...put a GC game in like normal. Then on the side there is a place to flip up add a controller and your mem card your gold.

Well as far as I can tell the emulation is good for the hardware. It is better than the raspberry PI B+ not way better but better...I can play neogeo cps2 using retroarch..as for other emulators they work better than retroarch on the WII I think (I have fceux and snes9x set up as a channel. I have used many emulators on it but nothing beats a PC but a WII is easier (and cheaper) to connect to a TV. You'll need a classic controller though...in fact there is a SNES controller for the WII (ask google).

philby85 -

I'll have to load it in a vb and try it out I guess I can give it more than five minutes this time around :P thanks
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:28:10 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

philby85

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 04:14:52 AM »

philby85 -

I'll have to load it in a vb and try it out I guess I can give it more than five minutes this time around :P thanks

Make sure to download the beta of groovy arcade which is a 2015 version.
cheers !