Author Topic: MS-DOS and PORTS emulators showing up in Attract Mode, but games aren't  (Read 3868 times)

Icepatrol

• View Profile
I know this has been covered a little bit on here, but I'm having issues with my PC and PORTS games showing up on Attract Mode. These games work completely fine in Emulation Station, but Attract Mode the games won't appear.

I know he's been covered here for MS-DOS http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=503.0 and here for PORTS http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1581.msg11210#msg11210

Tried both those posts without any luck. If anyone is well versed in this topic I'd love to get a step by step for a dummy like myself.

Much appreciated

rcampbel3

• View Profile
You need to provide more info before anyone can provide meaningful help.

What OS are you using?
Give an example of each type of game, the file you're using to start it, and what you have in your config file for that emulator.

There's not a lot of magic to Attract Mode. It only looks for what you tell it to look for, and it only runs what it's found.

I use linux, and I've created a directory with shell scripts for each DOS game I want to start. Then, in my config file, I have to put 'bash' as the program, and then search for files with .sh extension. Works just fine. You can do the same thing on Windows using 'cmd' as your program and ".bat" as your extension.

Icepatrol

• View Profile
Re: MS-DOS and PORTS emulators showing up in Attract Mode, but games aren't
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Sorry about that. I'm using the most up to date version of RetroPie and Attract Mode on a Raspberry Pi 3.

PC roms are located /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc

- Using DosBox for the PC roms here's what the cfg file looks like...
dosbox = "bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/+Start\ DOSBox.sh %ROM%"
default = "dosbox"
rpix86 = "bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/+Start\ rpix86.sh %ROM%"

- Here's an example of a game /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Commander Keen 6 Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter (1991)(Formgen)
- Here's a list of the files in that folder

audio.ck6
config.ck6
egagraph.ck6
gamemaps.ck6
Keen6.com
keen6.exe
keen6k.exe
keen6trn.com
keen6trn.doc

PORTS roms are located /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports. Not sure where the emulator files are located for this so I can't post that cfg file.

For the games I followed a tutorial online on downloading WAD files and creating .sh files for each game. Lets use DOOM as an example here's the .sh config file I made
#!/bin/bash
"/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh" 0 _PORT_ "doom" "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports/doom/doom1.wad"

Everything works fine in Emulation Station. I just can't seem to link things up in Attract Mode when I add the emulators.  The PORTS and MS-DOS displays will show up, but the games themselves won't show up even when I add the .sh or .exe extensions. Excuse my ignorance but not sure how to "I've created a directory with shell scripts for each DOS game I want to start. Then, in my config file, I have to put 'bash' as the program, and then search for files with .sh extension. Works just fine."

Any info would be great. I haven't seen a step by step tutorial online anywhere on how to add PORTS and MS-DOS games in Attract Mode. Thank you

-