Author Topic: Attract Mode with GroovyMAME and ASIO  (Read 7363 times)

robertofresca

• View Profile
Attract Mode with GroovyMAME and ASIO
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
I did some testing, and I've confirmed that Attract Mode does NOT work with ASIO4ALL and GroovyMAME ASIO in Windows 10.

ASIO4ALL says that AM has control over the sound device, so it can't start.

This is a deal breaker, boys. I can't use Attract Mode anymore.

See this link for a demo of ASIO MAME. There's really no going back from this. You can't tolerate the shitty audio latency in standard MAME after experiencing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7tZeKxi2wE

UPDATE

Did some more testing, and so far, MALA and Big Blue are the only frontends that seem to work with ASIO. You have to give MALA some credit. For such ancient software, it's held up pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:53:10 AM by robertofresca »

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
Re: Attract Mode with GroovyMAME and ASIO
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
Unlike the front-ends you mention as working, Attract-Mode is cross-platform. The sound system used by the framework is called OpenAL. Unfortunately it does not support ASIO.
That said, your specific case will likely never work unless SFML started using PortAudio (which apparently supports ASIO).

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »
thanks for the report of this.  I'll try poking around with the audio to see if anything further can be done to release AM's hold on the sound device before launching an emulator....

SIMPLY AUSTIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:17:38 AM »
Guys a retard guys dont worry about him or the problem, he is talking out of his ass.  He has spammed every Front end forum out there.  He is the dev of that eye bleeding mess called BigBlue and he has found the one feature it has.

The fix is easy and to be honest its even more simple than setting up ASIO as standard.  Take a look at the thread and if anyone would like a detailed 2 sec fix just PM me or stop by.  Be more than happy to help you out.  It works on all Front ends, in fact it works on any program there is.  A simple google will fix all your need if in fact you even wanted to fix it in the first place hahahaha

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/14508-asio-mame-guide/

As always guys, happy gaming and I am sorry you had to feel the pain of this guy here too.  I will not comment in this thread again as the guy is a few spoons short of a tea party and I do not do internet rage.

Happy Gaming Guys!

robertofresca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »
Despite what that guy said, the reality is that it doesn't work with Attract Mode.

It doesn't work with Hyperspin, either (AHK scripts to restart the Windows audio service don't count as "working").

brywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »
Works fine in 2.0. Not to mention all of the other new features.

Hyperspin theme support? Mala theme support?

Bye, every other front end.

robertofresca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »

Heh not quite. It doesn't seem like it can even get through generating a list of MAME roms without crashing. Not quite there yet.

Joystickkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »

Heh not quite. It doesn't seem like it can even get through generating a list of MAME roms without crashing. Not quite there yet.

Generates fine for me. I think you aren't quite there yet.