Author Topic: Attrac-Man Vertical Layout?  (Read 11789 times)

disconaldo

• View Profile
Attrac-Man Vertical Layout?
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
I am loving Attract Mode.  In particular, I totally dig the Attrac-Man layout.  I'm putting together a cocktail arcade cabinet, and I'd like to run the entire thing vertically.  But when I rotate the Attrac-Man layout (fe.layout.orient = RotateScreen.Left), it of course ends up looking like a stretched out mess.  See attached.

I've looked high and low for a vertical-friendly Pac-Man themed background .png to no avail (e.g., something with space for snaps, marquees, etc.).  I think if I at least had that to start with, I could figure out the rest based on the attracman source code.

Does anyone have any tips/pointers?

(Apologies if this is being posted in the wrong forum.)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attrac-Man Vertical Layout?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
Disconaldo-

Hi! You can check out my roboskin or cools script to get an idea on how to make your layout scale. But, it might not be perfect since it's vertical. 

disconaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
Much obliged!

I was able to track down the attached background.  I'm going to see what I can come up with and, if it's worthy(ish), I'll be glad to share.   

disconaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 03:13:26 AM »
I'm completely useless.  If anyone is able to let me know how to get started on this, it would be much appreciated.

So, as you can see from the attached .png image, I created three blank fields on the background image for: (1) marquee (top); (2) snap (middle); and (3) game list (bottom).

I'm using liquid8d's awesome Introduction to Squirrel Programming tutorial here: https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Introduction-to-Squirrel-Programming

But every time I try to add the pacman.png as the background image (fe.add_image), the display just defaults as if there's no layout.nut file at all.

I have to assume it has something to do with the aspect/resolution.  The image is 640x800, and I'm trying to get it to display vertically (cocktail set up).

Again, if anyone can get me started, that would be awesome.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:14:31 AM »
Disconaldo-

If I get some free time today, I'll grab the image you provided and create a basic script with marquee, snap, and list that scales for you. Hopefully, you can then add whatever enhancements you want to it.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Disconaldo-

Here try this... I made a few changes to your background image. The marquee, snap and Listbox that were white are now transparent. This was done so that I could layer the background over the art to give it a cleaner look. In the script, I also added a feature where you can select marquee or wheel art under layout options. The script should allow you to scale to different vertical resolutions and auto rotate right, though my testing is somewhat limited. 

disconaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
I could kiss you.  This is incredible.  Thank you so, so much!

krypstocken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 03:49:25 AM »
Hi

It sounds like this worked out for you.

I'm also looking for a pacman themed vertical layout, would you mind sharing the result?

Regards Kristoffer

Correction, never mind.... Did a quick check by installing on my Mac and it's perfect for what I need for my cab!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:17:16 AM by krypstocken »

krypstocken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 04:20:08 AM »

yungcd77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
I have been playing with this theme today and adjusted a couple things like font but I  am stuck with two things.

1. was wondering if it was possible to get the wheel art scrolling in the bottom portion vs just text.  I am learning squirrel and got it to a point to show 1 wheel at a time enlarged in the entire space but can't figure out how to have 3 scroll up down.  Hopefully that makes sense but any assistance would be great.  Just getting back into emulation and about to put together a cocktail cab but while I wait for it, I thought to put together the software piece so it is plug and play.
2. For some reason there is a white dot in the video section of the background.  I looked over the code and played around with it but can't get it to go away.  I also noticed it was in the last screenshot from krypstocken so it isn't just me.

Thanks again for whomever has time