Author Topic: Attract-mode and Ubuntu 15.10, a little annoyance  (Read 3608 times)

solbad0308

• View Profile
Attract-mode and Ubuntu 15.10, a little annoyance
« on: October 08, 2016, 02:57:12 AM »
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 15.10 and AM run flawlessly and it's cool. But there is a problem, when I load any rom, for a moment show the desktop and then ends the rom loading. Is there a way to keep focus AM and avoid showing the desktop?

In other words:

1) I open the frontend.

2) I choose a game.

3) AM disappears and show the desktop.

4) Seconds later show the rom.

If it's necessary, I can upload a video.

Thanks in advance.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Attract-mode and Ubuntu 15.10, a little annoyance
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
First, you want to make sure that you have it set to full screen in the general settings from the configuration menu.

Secondly I take it your game loads correctly? (from what you are saying.)

Third, Unless you can make AM your desktop environment (as unity is now) you are never going to not get it to show your desktop for even a second. (As far as I know ray has not implemented that yet.)

Two work arounds that I can think of are:
1. The theme itself load a picture or some kind of image to hide the desktop. (Ask someone in themes if this is possible.)
2. Use a black background and hide the bar.

For the last..I am not very familiar with the default unity desktop. (I can't stand it.) I use lubuntu it uses lxde..you'll still see parts of that..however it runs on top of openbox. So I use that. Two reasons:

1. It uses less resources then lxde (unity uses the second most..next to kde.)
2. (Most importantly) is has NO bars no windows or icons ...nothing...it's just black. Thus even the "flash" of the desktop showing after loading a game is basically hidden.

That's what I use anyway..your experience may differ. I have not had a problem with it. I even have it load attract mode and a few needed programs on start up. (I don't have to use a mouse or keyboard to run it.)

If this is a dedicated cab you can just reinstall with lubuntu (make sure you back up everything first!).
or,
you can install openbox from the repository (thus keeping your current setup.) After that log out..then change desktop environment [to openbox] and log back in. Linux will start that desktop until you change it. This way you still have a "full desktop environment" if you need it.

Be warned..openbox is not made to be easy [read convenient]...just simple. Don't expect it to be easy to use as a desktop until you learn it. Again if this is a cabinet then needing to use it [as a desktop] should not be a problem.
The middle mouse button is how you use openbox (it brings up the "sub-menu") then you can bring up the terminal and start attractmode and test it.
People want life easy..then complain about it

solbad0308

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 10:11:02 AM »
Ok, I will try it, thanks  :)

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 05:58:05 AM »
Glad to help. Please post back if it helps/works/fixes the problem.. (or doesn't)
People want life easy..then complain about it