Author Topic: Peformace  (Read 6295 times)

atrfate

• View Profile
Peformace
« on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:31 AM »
Just Curious if any-of you have done any testing with performance metrics currently trying to do but inside AM I dont even know what taxes the system the most.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Peformace
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
Only items with the wheels seem slow on my iMac. Everything else seems zippy. I'm curious, how do you plan on benchmarking this? Some one has a similar project for benchmarking mame on the byoac forums. They are using an arduino I believe.

atrfate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »
I am not looking for the performance of mame, but rather theme performance. and how doing some functions over others just taxes the system more. my theme had alot of open triggers and stuff by setting trigger events and going with that route i can sueally maintain 45 fps+ inside it. however i dont know of any methods to see how the engine is running and what parts of theme code are running in real time. to try and get that sliky smooth 60

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
From my observation - using surfaces is very taxing.
If you are using modern PC it really doesn't matter - but for slower machines it does.

atrfate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »
thats interesting, Iv found that if you have multiple things fading during a transition if they are all added to a single surface and thats animated vs animation and fades on each item alone yields better performance.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
Try the same without surfaces and see the difference.
With the same theme and single image on a surface, CPU usage was 75% and without surface 20%.

atrfate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:10 AM »
Iv found that with out the surface and animating each fade by itself yields lower fps by 5 and the same 70% cpu use-sage on core 0

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
I am not looking for the performance of mame, but rather theme performance. and how doing some functions over others just taxes the system more. my theme had alot of open triggers and stuff by setting trigger events and going with that route i can sueally maintain 45 fps+ inside it. however i dont know of any methods to see how the engine is running and what parts of theme code are running in real time. to try and get that sliky smooth 60

It’s the same exact thing. You cant measure latency accurately without a separate piece of hardware that is isolated from your machine.

atrfate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
Well keij things like unity let you see what part of your game is runnning at X time, i was more so asking if any type of debug features where available inside AM thought either dev flags ect

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
I don't really test performance, but outputting debug really chugs things.. for instance in my animate module - if debug is enabled and it spits out a lot of prints.. it's very sluggish on my laptop. I'm just saying make sure you aren't outputting to console much in a final release version..

atrfate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
I still see frame dips even on an i7, my goal to to optimize my theme as much as possible, but Sorta at that wall where I am not sure