Author Topic: 3 sided cocktail  (Read 3040 times)

djrobx

• View Profile
3 sided cocktail
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
My cab will be a 3 sided cocktail similar to the attached pic.

Can Attract Mode rotate to the correct orientation on the fly and filter the game list appropriately?   So far Mala is the only front end I can find that seems to support this configuration.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 sided cocktail
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »
I believe so. You can have a button rotate layout. Or create a layout that will detect a cocktail filter and change orientation. But this seems more annoying than anything.

djrobx

• View Profile
Re: 3 sided cocktail
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
Thanks!  Your reply gave me enough confidence to try it out.   I figured worst case I could hack the source code to do what I wanted, but was very happy to find the built in plugin structure supports my needs perfectly out of the box.

I took the KonamiCode plugin as a base.   Instead of looking for a string of secret codes, I look for inputs for controls being touched on a certain side of the cab.   If I'm currently in a horizontal layout and see a key on the vertical side of the cab, I send a display set command and it switches to a display that contains my vertical games.     Then if I'm inside the vertical game list, but see controls touched on the horizontal side, I switch it to the display containing my horizontal arcade games.   I then just define both sets of controls for navigation inside the normal control config.

It works great.  The display config even lets me take the vertical display out of the rotation, so I can still use the standard functions to iterate through my other emulators on the horizontal side.

I've attached my plugin if anyone else wants to try this on their 3 sided cab.   I find it a lot more intuitive than using a "rotate toggle" key or some such.   This way you only see games you can play from wherever you're sitting.   End result is just like what Mala did, except a little better.  In Mala you would be "locked" in the horizontal layout if you're looking at other emulators.   With this it will always switch to my vertical game list when vertical controls are touched.

What an awesome front end this is! 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:25:10 PM by djrobx »