Author Topic: Weird issue with Supermodel and Attract Mode resolution  (Read 2556 times)

Le Chuck

• View Profile
Weird issue with Supermodel and Attract Mode resolution
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
Hiya!  New here but an old hand over at Saint's site.  I'm using the Warp Layout in my Star Wars Cabaret that you can check out progress on over at BYOAC if interested and don't get over there much.  Going to be using a lot more Attract Mode in future builds, so figured it was about time I got registered over here. 

I need some help tho.  I get odd behavior from Supermodel.  FYI I run everything off one list from bats

I run my screen resolution at x:1024 but run Supermodel games at x:640 because I get a big speed bump by doing so and that's upscaled from their original resolution anyway.  (If I run x:1024 on the newer build I get slowdown)  Problem is when I exit Supermodel and go back into Attract Mode it is now zoomed in, as in running x:1024 but displaying the upper left corner of 640 for that resolution.  Works fine, ugly as hell.  Opening mame rom or another program from inside the FE won't fix it.  Restarting the FE will. 

Things I've tried: 

1) Putting my desktop resolution at x:640 - makes some other games look like poop.  Don't like it. 
2) Using call commands and Qres to set the resolution back - Attract Mode doesn't listen.  I've verified that the commands work in sequence through other programs, but Attract Mode locks to the lowest resolution offered.
3) Terminating Attract mode at the start of Supermodel and then restarting it using a call command on exit - doesn't load right, comes up blank screen.  I can get to the menus but the layout isn't loaded (I'm just calling attract.exe)

The other game that does this is Taurus Trooper, but I run that at x:1024 so it's not an issue, but will exhibit the same behavior if I use a different resolution. 

Thoughts on how to fix it? 

Le Chuck

• View Profile
Re: Weird issue with Supermodel and Attract Mode resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »
After much trial and error I discovered that taskkill /im attract.exe doesn't actually kill the FE if executed from within the FE.  However, taskkill /f /im attract.exe does.  So basically to run supermodel I'm turning off the FE, running the game, then turning it back on.  It's working properly now (only took me a year or so to get it right) but it's silly that I have to jump through such an odd assortment of hoops.