Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 - with RetroPie  (Read 523670 times)

DietCoke

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi Image for Pi 2 and Pi 3
« Reply #390 on: July 28, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
Gah!  Sudo....

Thank you - looks like I need to spend some more time in Linux, getting seriously rusty.  Thank you.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
Mister-

I think the latest AM fixes this issue.

I just put together a multi-cade using a j-pac and experienced this issue and other erratic behavior while exiting out of a games using floob's image. But, the good news is I found a simple fix for it.

For whatever reason,  input polling is being set to late. If you check the global retroarch config the default should be set to normal. But, for some odd reason polling is being defaulted to late. I checked all the individual retroarch configs here /opt/retropie/configs but there is nothing that is set to override the global config.

Anyway, to set the polling to normal we just need to add this line "input_poll_type_behavior = 1"  to the /opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/retroarch.cfg and  any other retroarch configs that's causing this behavior.

Add toward the top of the config:
input_poll_type_behavior = 1

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
You're right, default should be normal if its not set anywhere, so I'm not sure why it may be output to late.
You can test this by saving a config in RGUI when playing and reviewing the saved config file that should include all settings it was reading/using.

Code: [Select]
# Influence how input polling is done inside RetroArch.
# 0 : Early  - Input polling is performed before call to retro_run.
# 1 : Normal - Input polling is performed when retro_input_poll is
#     requested.
# 2 : Late   - Input polling is performed on first call to retro_input_state
#     per frame
#
# Setting it to 0 or 2 can result in less latency depending on
# your configuration.
#
# When netplay is enabled, the default polling behavior (1) will
# be used regardless of the value set here.
# input_poll_type_behavior = 1

If you want to set it to all Retroarch based emulators, you can put the line into
/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
Floob-

I'm still not quite sure how the default polling got changed unless it's a bug in the retropie binaries. But, it definitely causes an issue.

Kayin

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 11, 2016, 01:04:58 AM »
It got changed due to lots of talk about reducing input latency as much as possible. Definitely not a mistake and kinda bummed I gotta change that to avoid issues. :( Gotta fight to shave off those frames!

Has anyone set up attract mode for a cocktail cabinet?
For cocktail the tv screen is vertical
I know in options u can change display and rotate so menu appears vertical

Is there a way to get this working on mame?
Do you have to use a particular mame? Is any tv/monitor going to work or you have to get a certain kind? I go to options on mame the flip option works fine but stays the same. Even when switched to cocktail it doesn't rotate

I've done this, but I edited a theme until it looked right, so there are no quick and easy way to do it (though tweaking a simple theme doesn't take too long. I probably spent a half hour to get pretty good results). I'd just set up a windowed instance of attract mode in roughly the aspect resolution you want and just mess with things until it works. Most layouts are designed in a way to be pretty forgiving. Though you might have to set things differently if you're doing a build that's 'natively landscape' but rotated in mame or whatever.

edit: Also got MMAL working but it didn't seem to ultimately be terribly worth it. used this deb ( https://nwgat.ninja/installing-mpv-with-hardware-decoding-on-raspberry-pi-1-2-3-zero/ ) while skipping the MPV stuff and then rebooted and it worked and showed h264_mmal on the codec list. Then I had to recompile Attractmode to make it selectable. The problem is their is a slight hiccup  on each video transition so since my pi3 can handle my video needs on software (not going too big with videos) I figure I'd rather have smoothness, though this might be way more useful on pi2s (or maybe I just have to adjust something?)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:34:40 AM by Kayin »

DragonNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2016, 12:53:24 AM »
I'm using the 0.4 image with artwork on my Pi3 in my bartop. Loving the image, it's working great, thanks Floob. Really transformed the feel of my arcade machine since I only use MAME. No showstopping issues, but I'd like to try and clean up a few rough edges.

I've stuck with the blue background since I find panscan a bit too laggy for me and it was causing the Pi temp to shoot up. The Pi does seem to run much hotter than it did in ES and I was getting the yellow and red square; but a heatsink seems to have helped that. I guess this is simply a byproduct of the more graphically intense GUI.

I still see the Failed to initialize backend "pulse" error when I shutdown but it doesn't appear to cause any major issues, although I notice that sound is a little on the low side compared to vanilla Retropie - not sure if these are related. I'm currently using the 3.5mm jack for sound, so I might try it on my VGA/HDMI adapter instead.

I also see an autologin message on boot after the Retropie splashscreen for a few seconds. Is this normal or possible to hide?

In addition, I seem to have to select a game 2 or 3 times before it will fire up, is this normal too?

My next job is to start looking at the filters to make game navigation a little easier. All in all, very impressed with your work, it's saved me a lot of time and hassle in setting up 8)

Misterhollyw00d

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 17, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
I used Floob's recent image. I was always fine when I used it for the xbox 360 controller. Its when I used it with the arcade cabinet I have that caused it go crazy when I would exit the game it would it select it again or scroll like crazy etc.
I was able to make it stable now. I don't know if this helps anyone that is having the same issue. On ES I would make sure the xbox360 is disabled if not going to be using it. Go into a game from each emulator your using and set your controls. I set my hot key and exit key as the same. When you exit at first it will still go wack. But after I delete old retroarch file and rename the new one created. Usually after this if I start up any game again for that emulator it will work fine and exit with no real issues.

UncleSlim

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 17, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
First of all, nice work. It looks awesome on my fullsize cab with CRT screen :) i got all the systems i want in my cab to work from external harddisk except for Reicast.

Did any of you manage to get Sega Dreamcast / Reicast working ?

i use the dc_boot.bin, dc_flash.bin from my old Retropie setup, but somehow it doesnt seems to work here.

Nothing seems to work, not even the system manager.

The following error is logged :

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
  what():  basic_string::_S_construct null not valid
/opt/retropie/emulators/reicast/bin/reicast.sh: line 75:  1041 Aborted                 "$rootdir/emulators/reicast/bin/reicast" $params -config config:image="$ROM" >> /dev/null

:-\
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:33:40 PM by UncleSLim »

Misterhollyw00d

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 17, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »
Dreamcast working on mine. Did u add the 2 DC bios files

Nicodemus

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
I'm having some trouble adding the "arcade" emulator to the AM list. The trouble is I dont know how :) I have been able to link artwork and roms but nothing else. any help?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:18:29 PM by Nicodemus »

UncleSlim

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 17, 2016, 11:29:31 PM »
Dreamcast working on mine. Did u add the 2 DC bios files

yes .. i used the same DC bios files from my old Retropie setup, and placed them in the BIOS folder.

But if its working for you, i will continue to see if i can find the error, i just wanted to make sure that i works, so i don't waste my time  8)

UncleSlim

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 17, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »
I'm having some trouble adding the "arcade" emulator to the AM list. The trouble is I dont know how :) I have been able to link artwork and roms but nothing else. any help?

I'm not sure that i understand your question.

Did you add the Emulator and Display .. and when you are sayin "arcade" emulator does that mean MAME ?

Nicodemus

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2016, 05:14:21 AM »
I will try to explain. When I add roms to the correct folder for the emulator I want to use, such as MAME or FBA, I then go to the menu to build the rom list and everything works great. However, there is a folder called "arcade" that when I place roms there and run in emulation station I choose either MAME OR fba allowing me to have one rom folder to run what ever emulator is best for the rom. But, in attract mode there is no "arcade" option to where I can build a rom list, however there is an option to "add emulator". Here is where I set up the rom path, command arguments, executable, ect... It these entries that I get confused at, what do I type in here? I can get the rom path and artwork to work but the games don't? Forgive the long explanation but I'm just learning all this.

Kayin

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
You should be able to copy one of floobs other emulator configs that use run command (probably the mame one for simplicity sake) and where it says "0 _SYS_ mame [romefilename]" just change mame to arcade and it should work.

Nicodemus

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
I thought so also, but it doesn't work  :-\