Author Topic: AM v2.5.0 on RetroPie - CONTROLS.INI File Not Working  (Read 1458 times)

Pinball

• View Profile
AM v2.5.0 on RetroPie - CONTROLS.INI File Not Working
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:05:59 AM »
I've got my system working - Attract-Mode (v2.5.0) on RetroPie (4.4.3) on Raspberry Pi (3.5B+).  I'm using this setup for ARCADE Games (MAME). 

I was able to get the CATVER.INI and NPLAYERS.INI to work...but I cannot get the CONTROLS.INI to work -- trying to populate the values for PLAYERS, CONTROL, BUTTONS romlist.

My research is showing that CONTROLS.INI is not supported in Attract-Mode - is that still true?

Any suggestions (step-by-step) on how I can populate those fields in the generated romlist file to be populated so that I can use them in the FILTER/RULE section?

Thanks, Scott (aka "Pinball")

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: AM v2.5.0 on RetroPie - CONTROLS.INI File Not Working
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »
Controls.ini is obsolete. It's no longer used or needed in any modern version of MAME since this information is included in the listxml file output. It's also no longer supported in Attract-Mode as a result.

Your issue is that you're using an older version of MAME to work on lower end hardware. Those versions of MAME do need the controls.ini to get that information. You can look at this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=839.msg6446#msg6446 about using a 3rd party tool to get the information. You can also search for other methods to get the control information that will work too.