Author Topic: "Filtering" mame in general...  (Read 2634 times)

rloxley

• View Profile
"Filtering" mame in general...
« on: March 18, 2019, 04:28:40 AM »
Hi volks :-)

As i think i don't really get the proper usage of filtering at all, can somebody please give a complete workaround how he's using it?
I've already seen that mickelson example page, everybody is referring to, and i see what these examples should do...

I had already copied the catver.ini, nplayer, favorites and everything else to the root of my mame directory before and created the romlist, so everything should be good to go.

But simply adding one of these examples to the mame display in attract.cfg, i see no difference at all? No matter which example i tried, there's nothing filtered. Even after restarting attract mode...
Am i missing a step i don't know?

I've also seen, there are some filters already set for each and every display (by default?). Do i have to leave them as they are - or to delete them?
   global_filter       
      rule                 FileIsAvailable equals 1
   filter               All
   filter               Favourites
      rule                 Favourite equals 1

What are you ending up with using filters in general? Having 12 or more mame displays for each filtering you set? Or can i "filter" in JUST ONE mame display (containing all) by choosing the filters i set up? Do you create a display for each and every category, or what's the proper usage of "categorizing" in attract mode?

btw. I choosed a different language than english in the attract mode gui. copying the ENGLISH exaples to the attract.cfg (= "not_equals"), they are also translated to my language in the attract mode display config... Seems to be translated right, but are they still working, or is that a problem?

As you may guess, first i want to get rid off all that clones, not working, crap etc... roms, and then have a nice categorisation.

So you see, i need more help than linking to an example page ;-))

best regards

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Filtering" mame in general...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:35:09 AM »
You can do whatever you want with filters. Thats the freedom it provides. The wiki has a good starting example to slim down a complete mame library to working non clone arcade games. These could be used as global filters, and then you could use things such as categories for normal filters. I personally am using tag lists for global filters, specifically the nofiller lists I converted to attract tags. Tags are awesome feature of attract mode.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Filtering" mame in general...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »
1. A favorites file doesn't go in the root of the MAME folder. An AttractMode MAME favorites file would be /attractmode/romlists/mame.tag.
2. You don't need different displays for each filter. You set a button in Configure-->Controls-->Filter Next=<your_choice> and then when you're in the display your press <your_choice> to cycle through the filters you have configured.

Ignore the "master romlist" piece and look at the control setup and examples http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1165.msg8455#msg8455

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2297.msg15515#msg15515
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:28:21 PM by progets »