Author Topic: Requesting Permission for a Guide and Review  (Read 5122 times)

SIMPLY AUSTIN

• View Profile
Requesting Permission for a Guide and Review
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »
Hi guys, Simply Austin here.

My thing is emulation and to be more specific Front Ends.  I have been passed you Front end a few times and would like to have a dabble, show to public and do it some justice.  However I think its only right that I speak to you guys first for any feed back and to be polite... permission.  Here is my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4RFFBZEztOW77onViqoDA

Look forward to hearing back from you.  All the best and happy Gaming

Austin

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Permission for a Guide and Review
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
Welcome!

It's ironic, I watched some reviews on your channel just a few days ago. And, I was thinking to myself this guy should do a review of attract-mode. So, you have my vote. I doubt the other members would mind as well. It would be nice if you could touch on some of the finer point of AM  - things like ease of use, filtering, custom themes, importing romlist, compact size,   etc...

necrosis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
I am a new member here, but discovered attract-mode late last year. I am a linux user and to me so far at least, AM seems like the best option for that. I currently use it as a front end to nes (fceux), snes (zsnes), mame, megadrive (dgen-sdl), master system (kega-fusion) on a 10 year old laptop. I plan to build a proper machine at some point with a lot more emulators and will certainly use AM for it and hope to stick to linux for that too. Anyhow the point of me saying this is I think the multi-platform aspect of AM should be a part of the review as i notice most of the your videos (though very good) are windows centric.

SIMPLY AUSTIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:45:00 AM »
Thanks mate and yes that's why I like to touch base with the guys who use it and make it before I do anything like this.  Me being a kind of outsider, I do not know its wonders strengths or indeed any bugs.

A first impression is a good guide to go off but it doesn't inform and relies most on visuals as features and advantages are something you mostly pick up with experience in using a front end.

Thanks for the information on the multi OS stuff. That really does help. I am by no means a pro but I can normally muddle my way through.  I do mainly focus on Windows based systems as that's the majority on emulation. However I have covered Emulation Station and RetroFE which are multi platform.

Although I dabble and help in much emulation, arcades and front end stuff, compared to you guys I am a noob in terms of this FE.  Be nice to hear if there is any of the above and if there is any features you would like featured as essential qualities that you want to stand out?

In other words...

Themes
Controls
Searches
Easy/hard to setup
Compatibility
Bonus stuff I dont know of?
Future dev plans
Bugs
Demo version you want featured?
And anything else you think may help?

Hehe jeez I sound like some self help dude :). I just wa t to do you guys justice that's all.

Anways, look forward to doing it.... Happy Gaming!

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
Hi Austin, you also have my vote for doing a review!

I can tell you there should be a shiny new version of the frontend ready to go shortly.  It will add some nice new features (including more themable menus) and hopefully fix more bugs than it introduces.  I'm hopeful this will be ready in a week or so,  it might make your dabbling more enjoyable...

cheers.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:55:13 AM »
Highlight Feature:

Artwork: Say you have a folder/path called fanart...in that path you can have a path with the name of the game, and put any images you want in the folder and they will be displayed in your layout randomly.

Tip: Say you want just console specific fanart, you could create an artwork labeled console, and then in that path have a path with the name of the emulator, and then all your images and videos could be called anything in that new path...

scraper--->stella--->bonus---->console--->stella--->images.(jpg,png,mp4...)

*Please note, your layout needs to have a place where it will display the category of art you are using.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
t will add some nice new features (including more themable menus) and hopefully fix more bugs than it introduces.

ahh yes the "programmers' prayer"  ;D

Well you have my vote! As far as i know it works well on any OS you throw at it..and still being maintained but easy to use. I was a MAMEWah fan until I went to linux full time..tried mahcade..but it's outdated. I wanted something simple. Hyperspin is nice but it's resource heavy and I an not going to spend 300 just for an arcade cab when I can use my old one. Mala was good..but again outdated and only windows. I loved mahcade/mamewah/mala because it was simple and lightweight. I wanted my emulator to use my resources not my front end. I literally found AM by accident. Never gone back..it does everything i need it to do..and I want it done.
People want life easy..then complain about it

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
Here's to hoping when Simply Austin does his Youtube review he'll include a Floob type image with artwork!