Author Topic: New Theme - Unified  (Read 25177 times)

dmmarti

• View Profile
New Theme - Unified
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
Hi Group……

Here is my new global RetroPie Attract Mode theme I call “Unified”.

It’s based on omegaman’s awesome robospin_v4 layout.

I’m calling it Unified because all of the different wheels have a similar look and feel to them. It comes with unified themes for all the systems, for a new Favorites display as well as the new system selection display.

I’ve included a PDF file full of instructions and info on how to install and use it. Nothing hard…just copy over the files into the right folders..and you’re done. But you will have to do the recent attract mode update (I have the commands in the PDF file) if you want to use the new “system selection” display menu.

In essence, it’s basically just like copying over any other new theme you’ve downloaded.

It's also got new enhancements in the “Attract Mode Setup” display. Many new wheels for the same programs from the Emulation Station RetroPie menu are included.  i've written the new AM scripts for them located in /home/pi/.attract/Attract Mode Setup

it also includes my new script called “Generate Favorites” wheel to make a special romlist of all of your games from all systems you’ve marked as a favorite. That goes along with the new Unified Favorites display theme….a display just of your favorites.

New layout.nut options I've added in are:

show/hide game information box at the bottom
show/hide new boxart/cartart images (requires modifications to your AM emulator files - instructions in PDF)
animation added to the boxart/cartart images

Plus a few more as well.

Features:
themes are now unified to keep the same look across all systems

layout “unified” - assign to all non-arcade displays
layout “unified-arcade” - assign to all displays that are MAME/FBA based
layout “unified-favorites” - default layout for the Favorites wheel
layout “unified-displaymenu” - default layout for the new Display Menu/System Selection wheel

Layouts take advantage of all available media magic tokens (modifications may be needed in AM emulator files - instructions in PDF file)

media types included: flyer, marquee, wheel, snap, box art, cartridge art
corresponding folders in the /roms/xxx directory
/roms/xxx/boxart
/roms/xxx/cartridges
/roms/xxx/flyer
/roms/xxx/marquee
/roms/xxx/snap
/roms/xxx/wheel

The download includes over 80 PNG files each for backgrounds and pointers for all systems, Photoshop PSD template files for all images (backgrounds, pointers, system wheels), and other additional media files.

To see it in action, you can watch a Youtube video I created showcasing it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-lsIzvuY6U&t=259s

Here is the download link (it’s hosted on Mega).

https://mega.nz/#!8MFhjQ7R!HPHmhDVkp9-QsS-J_6Jr-c7YmkrcTVCnLqFxiYDVGSA
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:14:00 AM by dmmarti »

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
Re: New Theme - Unified
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing your work.

I just need to convert it to portrait mode.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:05:33 AM by bionictoothpick »

Zaxth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
This is great! - You've done an excellent job ;D

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:32:14 PM »
Great stuff! And it's really nice to see a theme being made for the systems menu, which I've yet to see up until now :)

jvlk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
nice theme, thx for sharing.

KillerQ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
Thanks for your hard work.

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »
Great theme for consistency across all systems.

And I just want to add that your script for generating the favorites list is awesome. I just switched back to Retropie with Attract Mode from using RecalBox, which had a fork of emulationstation that merged all system favorites to it's own list and was really missing that for about 2 days until I found your theme

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »
Hey dmmarti, the generate favorites script is being kind of weird. i can watch the terminal while it's happening and it shows it grabbing all of my favorites from each system, but at the end of it, the final list doesn't have either the fba or neo geo games listed...it's weird. Any thoughts?

clockman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
How do you set this up on a windows pc?

johnprobe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi - It looks great and many thanks. I've setup as per instructions and everything is fine except no art appears in the displays menu. I've only using FBA and MAME (mame4all).  There's text to indicate those two emulators but no art. Can you advise ?

johnprobe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:01 AM »
Hi - It looks great and many thanks. ;) I've setup as per instructions and everything is fine except no art appears in the displays menu. I've only using FBA and MAME (mame4all).  There's text to indicate those two emulators but no art. Can you advise ?

madlittlepixel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Anyway to request a Dreamcast background image? This is an awesome theme, but its missing a Dreamcast background image.

Mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »
David

I am a great fan of your project. I would like to contribute this little image for the Game and Watch Display of your Unified Theme
I am no designer and my only tool was paint. I know you are going to come up with something better soon (don't forget to add Nintendo DS :))
but in the mean it will do.
The funny thing. I added the image to the /home/pi/.attract/layout/unified/background folder; and I gave it the name of the emulator/romlist : Game and Watch.png
and it won't load
I added a pointer, and no problem with the G&W pointer
what am I missing ?

you might know me on youtube  as Alexis-Bryan. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »
Here is a Dreamcast backgound to add in the layout unified/backround

Sega Dreamcast.png

regards

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:30:20 AM by Mugatu »

cupid-stunt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 04:15:55 AM »
Hi,

I have just got into retro games and after much searching and trial and error settled on attract mode as my front end of choice.

This theme is excellent and I have managed to set it up on a Windows 10 machine.

The only thing I'm struggling with is converting the favourites script into a dos batch file. Has anyone already done this?

Thanks