Author Topic: Edit Emulator Menu  (Read 1852 times)

Tommy714

• View Profile
Edit Emulator Menu
« on: February 13, 2023, 04:37:04 AM »
Well, thanks to much help from the community here I have Attract Mode up and running, kind of.  It lists the games, and plays the games.  However, I am unable to load any layouts.  It displays a list of the games, and can scroll through them.

I think it's worth mentioning, all of the fields in the below image were populated by manually typing in the text.  I wasn't able to scroll through to find "listxml" or browse to find any directories.

I suspect it has to do with my setup directories, but am unsure... any help would be appreciated.

16GiB System memory
Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen C
6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Con
HD Graphics 530

UBUNTU 22.04
Attract mode V2.6.2
MAME 0.251
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:57:48 PM by Tommy714 »

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Re: Edit Emulator Menu
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 10:26:01 AM »
try "tab" displays,  choose the display name you made, then you will see "layout" enter then move up or down to change between the default layouts, if their are none to choose from then yes you probley dont have the files in the right spot
help a friend....

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 12:09:16 AM »
To troubleshoot your issue try these things

1. look at the last_run.log in the \attractmode folder for errors
2. run the attract-console.exe from the root/administrator command line to see what errors appear
3. switch your attractmode layout to "basic"
4. make sure you have the latest, correct driver for your video card (or graphics chip on CPU)
5. try different video resolutions in OS. (common ones that have less resolution)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 12:17:11 AM by progets »

Tommy714

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:47:54 AM »
1.  I can't seem to find the file "last_run.log" anywhere. 

2.  How do I do this?

3.  That is the problem, I can not change the layouts.  They do not appear and scroll when I try to change them.

4. & 5. ......

Honest to god, I'm not a computer idiot, I just don't know Linux to save my life.  I was hesitant to head this route, but I have a 27" VGA CRT arcade monitor I'm going to use, and Windows 10 hates CRT's.

I have AM running like a champ on Windows 10.  It looks like a pro did it.  Now in Linux, I'm a fish out of water.  With that said, I'm also positive that Linux is the best OS for MAME and Attract Mode.  Just need a little more help.......

To troubleshoot your issue try these things

1. look at the last_run.log in the \attractmode folder for errors
2. run the attract-console.exe from the root/administrator command line to see what errors appear
3. switch your attractmode layout to "basic"
4. make sure you have the latest, correct driver for your video card (or graphics chip on CPU)
5. try different video resolutions in OS. (common ones that have less resolution)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 07:09:02 AM by Tommy714 »

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 01:31:56 PM »
in home folder , their will be a folder ".attract "   this is a hidden folder,  that is were you will have all your files .cfg layouts folder ext...   check that! 

show hidden folders ...gui     or command line   " cd .attract " to go into folder.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 01:35:52 PM by jedione »
help a friend....

Tommy714

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 02:22:26 PM »
Ok, that seems to be what's going on.  I found the layouts folder in the .attract folder, and it was empty.  I copied my layouts from the other directory, and they showed up when I went to scroll through them.

Most of the layouts do not work properly.  I'll try the settings around resolution to see if that resolves it.

With that said, where is the setting to change what folder it looks to for layouts and romlists?  Why did it create the subfolders in /home/tom/attract-2.6.2, and how to I get it to look there for the needed files? 

in home folder , their will be a folder ".attract "   this is a hidden folder,  that is were you will have all your files .cfg layouts folder ext...   check that! 

show hidden folders ...gui     or command line   " cd .attract " to go into folder.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 02:38:18 PM »
glad to here it,,,  cant change the location for those above,  layout folder, .cfg ext   i beleave their baked in,  though i believe .attract is a shared folder,   were the oem themes that come with am are located in usr/shared/attract  somthing like that, im at work so when i get home i could help further...k    ill hit u up on the discord...you can find me their...
help a friend....

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 06:24:31 PM »
just sounds like it might of been compiled wrong..not shure..

help a friend....

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 06:31:39 PM »
"With that said, where is the setting to change what folder it looks to for layouts and romlists?"   romlists you can set the "emulator" in the romlist to look at the emulator folder matching the name of the rule .cfg per display..   not sure if im saying this right,, ie
Code: [Select]
filter               FIGHTING
rule                 Emulator equals FIGHTING
help a friend....

Tommy714

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 05:23:32 AM »
That is my belief.  Now the question is do I delete, and re-compile?

Here's a little more to make it more confusing.  In my directory /home/tom/Attract-2.6.2 (the one created when compiled), the icon for Attract is a gear symbol, not the player one arcade button.  Also, it did not install the executable for "attract-console" in either the hidden /home/tom/.attract, or the public /home/tom/attract.

The layouts are there to select from, but when I select them, the main screen is just a large wheel of the games, and the video preview in the background of the whole screen.  (see image)  On a side note, the filters do work, and I can change from filter to filter.

Basic layout seems to be displaying properly.  (see image #2)

just sounds like it might of been compiled wrong..not shure..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:37:24 AM by Tommy714 »

Tommy714

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 06:04:38 AM »
I tried re-compiling (again), and here's some of the problems (I think) I encountered during compiling.  Did I fail to install one of the required packages that is causing my pain?

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 06:52:28 AM »
theirs nothing wrong, the binary to run am dont have an icon,  inless you make a link and give it one your running it from cli,  and inles you compile it with the flags for having the consol it wont,   

those above are warnings, not errors....  the binary that was created you are running is located usr/local/bin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:58:09 AM by jedione »
help a friend....

Tommy714

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 07:02:51 AM »
Are there any threads regarding getting layouts working that are not?