Author Topic: Basic Themes  (Read 8200 times)

Enverex

• View Profile
    • xNode - Internet Toolkit
Basic Themes
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
I've noticed there are a few elaborate themes on this forum for MAME setups with lots of the artwork, but I was wondering if there was a collection of more basic themes anywhere. Ideally I'm looking more for something that shows either a list of the games on one side, the snap of the game, rating, developer, description, etc.

A good example would be the stock EmulationStation theme (which I'm currently migrating away from due to issues with larger collections):

Has anyone seen any themes somewhat similar to this anywhere?

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Themes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:22 AM »
Enverex-

That is a nice clean theme. You could do this easily yourself if you read some basic tutorials on this site . Someone with experience could do something like this in about 20 minute. If I get some time, maybe I'll throw something together for you. But, you could do this very easily.

Enverex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
I did look at the source for a few themes and it did indeed look relatively easy to make something myself. I'll probably have a hack at it when I get the chance.

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
I just put together this walk through:

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Introduction-to-Squirrel-Programming

It gives a basic intro to Squirrel (the layout scripting language) and how to create a theme with text, images and artwork.

Just simply that style will be easy to recreate - just text (with a specific font), artwork and a bg image. I'm not sure about what all info you can get scraped for console since I haven't scraped mine but worse case you could probably get it migrated over.

I'm actually working on something that could convert EmulationStation themes with the animations, but it will probably be a little while before it's usable.

Enverex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
Yeah, I saw the guide. Nice work on that.

Getting the info won't be hard, I wrote a database and (3000 or so line) scraper to get info from literally everywhere, write it to the DB and then generate config files for EmulationStation and now also Attract Mode.