Author Topic: n64 emulation  (Read 13919 times)

chokito76

• View Profile
n64 emulation
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Hi, what Nintendo64 emulator do you use with Attract-Mode? What are the command-line configs? Is there any that can be set to exit back to the Attract-Mode by pressing ESC?

Thank you!

chokito76

• View Profile
Re: n64 emulation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
Nevermind. I found a way to use project64 version 2.1. I just needed two tricks.

First, and unlike what is said on the emulator's help, you DO need to enclose the rompath with quotes. My "project64.cfg" file:

executable           D:\Project64\Project64.exe
args                 "[romfilename]"
rompath              D:/Project64/Roms
romext               .rom;.z64;.v64   
artwork    snap            D:\Project64\artwork\snap

Also, to make the emulator exit with ESC, I had to manually change the "Project64.sc3", removing this line:

Then I could enter the emulator settings to assign the ESC key to application exit.

loopin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:55:30 AM »
heres what i use and setup

# N64-Mupen64
#
executable           X:\mupen64\mupen64plus.exe
args                 --fullscreen "[romfilename]"
rompath              X:\Roms\N64
romext               .n64;.z64;.v64
artwork    flyer           X:\artwork\n64\boxfront
artwork    marquee         X:\artwork\n64\boxfront
artwork    snap            X:\artwork\n64\snaps
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:03:46 AM by loopin »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
To answer your question..you can use either Project64 or Mupen64plus. However neither has updated in three years looks like. Both worked fine for me. I had Project64 on my windows machine. Worked fine but like you I needed to close it..there is a program called close emu. I can't find the webpage for you at the moment sorry. But there is one thing if you have it sent to fullscreen in the gui great but add a "--nogui" (no quotes) in the command line option should look like this:

Code: [Select]
args                  --nogui "[romfilename]"
then see if it will let you drop with the esc key.

I use mupen64 myself it is a lot easier I think. loopin is right..however there are some tweaks on mine:
Code: [Select]
args                 --noosd --resolution 640x480 --fullscreen "[romfilename]"
The N64 can display resolutions of 256 × 224, 320 × 240 and 640 × 480 pixels, so choose which one you want. You can chose a higher one as well (whatever your graphics card can handle.) I just like to make it look crappy like it's suppose to be. ;) That and it runs smoother.

Also you make sure you get the plugins (I think both are plug-in based) I had a hell of a time with out them!

Props on getting working yourself though.

AM has a hot key option like mala..hey ray..can you help out how to use that? (that will help on the man page too)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:41:02 AM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

loopin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks akafox

I've added those tweaks to my config..

;D ;D ;D ;D

retrogam3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
First time post...Has anyone gotten N64 to work with MESS? I got it to run but it's VERY choppy (computer is i5 with 8gbram and 1gb GPU) I got it to work pretty well with Project 64 and my exit hot key works but when returns to AM the resolution is messed up (even with the ResFix plugin enabled) the escape key just takes Project 64 out of full screen into windowed mode. Any ideas?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:45:44 AM »
Again like I said you have to use a program to do that called "close emu" But if you want to try mupen64plus it works great. I left project64 for it. Mess is not the best thing to run N64 with. What is your resolution set at when you play mess?

As for your exiting and resolution..not sure..but I have had that problem with all emulators at times. Anybody got any ideas to help xev1n out?

And welcome to the forums! :)

retrogam3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
Thanks! I may just switch to mupen64plus but I can find a 64bit version for Windows? I looked for "close emu" but could not find it. I am curious why ResFix plugin worked for the other emulators but not Project64? The reason I like MESS is you don't have to do anything with resolutions so if you move to different monitors it "fixes" the resolution based on the screen and looks great. I think for N64 to work well with MESS there would just need to be a good BIOS, however unfortunately right now I don't think there is one. I am running Project64 in 1024x768 and it runs smoothly. I run NES, SNES, & GENESIS through MESS.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Yeah I can't find close emu either...I can not remember where I found it.

There should be a windows version of mupen64... https://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/downloads/detail?name=mupen64plus-bundle-win32-2.0.zip&can=2&q=

Like I said both mupen and project64 are about the same age. So pick your poison...or in this case the one the works best for you. Mess I think has some work to do before it can run N64 smooth..but that is just what I think.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »
I found the close emu page. http://lustark.com/closemul/ I was spelling it wrong..that's why we couldn't find it.

retrogam3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »
Nice thanks