Author Topic: Ubuntu 16.04 desktop install problems  (Read 4148 times)

Bryan092785

• View Profile
Ubuntu 16.04 desktop install problems
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
I have installed the repository with:
Sudo add-apt-repository papa:daveg/attract
Sudo apt-get update
Apt-get install attract

I then try and run attract mode:
/usr/games/attract

I get an error saying it can't find the attract.cfg file and it fails to start X11 display. Any help would be much appreciated.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 16.04 desktop install problems
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
If you have installed from the ppa then all you have to do is in your terminal type:
Code: [Select]
attract
That should start it. Clicking or trying to run the "executable" might be giving you that problem.

I believe the attract .cfg does not exist until you run attract mode once so that a cfg can be created.

if you have any problems..let me know. I would like to know the version of ubuntu you are using..I am guessing the "standard ubuntu" with unity desktop. (is there a "bar" on the left that lets you start programs? or is your desktop more windows-ish?) This lets me know better..then I can provide step by step if I can.
People want life easy..then complain about it

Bryan092785

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
Wow thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I did not come back sooner. I kind of threw my hands up on it and went back to the rpi version. As I get more systems going I realize that I'm goingg to have to put this set up on more powerful hardware.  Especially for emulating mame and wii and dreamcast lol. I am going back to ubuntu I believe. I am thinking of doing this on top of emuOS since ES is already installed and configured much like retropie. Since you have some knowledge on the subject,  what is your opinion of doing this build on top of emuOS? Where do I turn on mail notifications for replies from this forum? Lol very cool to see the community has some active members. I really love the look and feel of this front end.

Bryan092785

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »
I turned on nitifications for this post. I am running the most current stable version of ubuntu with unity desktop 16.4 if memory serves... it does not always lol.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
I kind of threw my hands up on it and went back to the rpi version.

been there done that....but if you went to the pi..well you went back to linux. Get used to tossing your hands up alot...the emulation hobby can be a frustrating experience..even for us veterans! lol

Especially for emulating mame and wii and dreamcast lol.

hmm..wii and dreamcast? I think they may be only windows based emulators..none for those systems on linux ...yet. And thus you may have to have someone help you there..if/win you get there. I don't have much experience with those emulators.
I am thinking of doing this on top of emuOS since ES is already installed and configured much like retropie. Since you have some knowledge on the subject,  what is your opinion of doing this build on top of emuOS?

Honestly I have never heard of it..but I will look into it and run it..and give you feed back if you want...besides I am curious :)

Well ok..I can help with your linux set up..I don't have a problem with it. I just don't use Unity (I hate it..drives me nuts). I use xubuntu on my system...it's lighter on resources so better for a cab IMHO.

About the only thing I can tell you right now is for my setup I prefer to use "separate emulators" for my cabinet. I want to be able to tweak configuration files of my emulators. I like retroarch a lot. It's perfect to run on a Rasp PI or your WII but I have problems running it and setting it up a lot..not sure why. Also I can not seem to make any changes to the configs or cores for some reason (and even when I have they don't seem to stick). I'm probably just old..I have been doing this since DOS...lol

Just want to let you know where I stand...that will be the direction I help you in....just so you know.

As for EmuOS I'll load it in a virtual box and try it out and let you know.  :)

Bryan092785

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
Where should I start with this build? I will spin up xubuntu if you think that is the best base for this project. Time to give this cab a fresh brain!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »
Where should I start with this build? I will spin up xubuntu if you think that is the best base for this project. Time to give this cab a fresh brain!

Well that is just my opinion..nothing hardcopy here....

It seems to work good for me though..never had a problem with it.