Author Topic: How to get MAME game list in alphabetical order?  (Read 700 times)

bsell1

• View Profile
How to get MAME game list in alphabetical order?
« on: October 16, 2023, 09:22:20 PM »
How do I go about getting my MAME list to show up in alphabetical order as opposed to rom name order?

dmmarti

• View Profile
Re: How to get MAME game list in alphabetical order?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 07:55:46 AM »
Set your display's filter to sort by "Title"

Tab > Displays > (your MAME display) > Filter All > Sort by

Set that option to sort by Title.  If your romlist is populated it'll now be sorted by the game name rather than rom name.

If you have additional filters for that display, you have to set each one individually to sort by Title.

bsell1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, I would never have figured that out on my own.  Apparently though I have some weird roms because I still have some that are not showing correctly.  For example, I have a game called Ironclad with a rom name of ironclad that sits between chopper and circus charlie.   Some others are doing the same.  I tried sorting by name and that put Ironclad in the right order, but then screwed up others such as Space Invaders, which has rom name of invader was now in the I section.  Not sure what to do here.

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 06:08:30 AM »
Hmm....look at your MAME romlist.

The first field is the [Name] or rom filename
The second field is the [Title] of the game

Look for the Ironclad game and look at its second field text.....see if it just says "Ironclad" there or if there's like a letter "c" on the front or something.  If the second field [Title] is just Ironclad, it should've worked by sorting on [Title].

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 08:20:18 AM »
Ah...I think I see why.

Looking in MAME, the [Title] of this games is:

Choutetsu Brikin'ger / Iron Clad (prototype)

So that's why it's being sorted in the "C's" alongside the other games and not in the "I's".  You'll have to edit your MAME romlist file and fix that second field to make it be just "Iron Clad".

bsell1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 09:30:13 AM »
You are right.  Thanks for the insight on this.  Now I get to go through the whole romlist and edit all the out of place items.  Fun!!!!!