Author Topic: help switching to linux  (Read 12261 times)

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
Re: help switching to linux
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 11:40:52 PM »
Working on it. It assumes at least some knowledge of Linux though.
[/quote]

lol ya i do get the gist. ive played with ubuntu mint and puppy. but again my cmd line sucks.... i mean i know how to cut and paste... lmao!! ;)

thank you
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
    • Blogging about Rust lang
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 01:39:49 AM »
lol ya i do get the gist. ive played with ubuntu mint and puppy. but again my cmd line sucks.... i mean i know how to cut and paste... lmao!! ;)

thank you

I'm in the process of making this work as a live usb that then looks for another usb drive with a particular label, then mounts it and starts attract mode - should make it dead easy to use so long as you have the right hardware.
Plug in two USB drives, one with live iso, one with attractmode + roms and art, and boot up.

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »

thank you

What hardware do you use? I'll build an iso that you can use directly. Currently have it booting the USB, and then loading AttractMode and mame settings + roms from a second USB drive. It's working a treat.

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 11:11:44 PM »
ISO's available here
Readme.md is here.

For a quick start, write the ISO to a USB drive, then get another USB drive to format with a new partition scheme and partition using either FAT, NTFS, or EXT4 - this partition must be labeled as arcade_usb. On this arcade_usb drive, copy the contents of this directory.

Plug both drives in and boot from the first one (it will be older bios boot only for now).

Be warned though, that quick start is set up for my machine - but is a good example.

You can unplug that arcade_usb at any time when the machine is running and the machine will stop attractmode only, plug it back in and it will start attractmode again - good for making changes using another machine. All configuration done on the arcade machine is saved to this drive too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:15:34 PM by Luke_Nukem »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
amd 3core 3.5 i think lol
amd ghost 7770 1g grafix 12 gigs ddr3
asus mobo

Win 7
12g ram

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
well i thank you for the work!!! ill be busy working this out after kids go to bed.

Win 7
12g ram

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »
amd 3core 3.5 i think lol
amd ghost 7770 1g grafix 12 gigs ddr3
asus mobo

Great! It should run pretty well on that hardware.

The machine I have in my arcade cab is:
  • AMD Athlon64 3200
  • 512Mb RAM
  • Nvidia 8600GT
And it runs amazingly well for most games - I've not tried anything above mid-90's or 3D.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
Sorry I have not been around guys. REALLY busy.

As for linux yes so for it is the best. Well sort of. There are some emulators that are made for windows and windows only. Ticks me off but hey that is life right. I have been using linux for all my gaming. The last windows I ever used was XP I have been running linux for quite a while now. Compiled AM and many emulators for it many times over. Runs everything I could want and with Retro Arch for linux well not much you can not run..old school anyway.

I would stick with Ubuntu if you are just starting out. I used Lubuntu actually because I was able to configure it with open box so you do not see any gui aspects behind AM at all. (There is a program for windows xp that will make AM the shell itself instead of running am over the shell. IF Ry would like to make AM a "desktop" of linux that would be awesome! ..get to it Ray!  :P) And I found Lubuntu was very light..I want as little resources taken as possible on my system so it can be used to run the games. Tried making an Attract mode linux distro like groovy arcade..but gave up because that PC died.

I noticed one of you mentioned Puppy linux. I have not used puppy in quite a while. I found ubuntu (and variants) have almost everything you need to make AM run "out of the box" other I found were missing many packages..and I try to stay out of dependency hell when I can ;) The other that was mentioned was groovy arcade..again been awhile but if i recall i had a hard time getting it to find my roms. As I love AdvanceMenu (the gui in groovy arcade) it lacks some things, mostly video support. I have tried making videos for the console side of advance menu but with only a little success. It is much easier to render a .mng than a .mp4 on any system..but even a "low end pc" is high end now compared to what it used to be. Archlinux is okay as well..but it was a pain in the ass to get things to run on it..after getting it to run however it was solid.

Honestly though I might either take a break or quit emulation all together I am not sure yet. Twenty years is a good run! With the way life is going and the Nintendo getting involved getting a MAME update pack has been a pain for me..but that is for the future not now. For now still tweaking and having a good time with my hobby (although others are not  :-\

IF anyone has any questions let me know I am happy to help and will make a point to get in here more often for now..game on! :)
People want life easy..then complain about it

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »
ok so i got this to boot to attract mode but i dont know how to set up mame ... is thier a precompiled version with nonag for linux?? once i have that done ill be golden.....

thanx

Win 7
12g ram

stevereaver

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »
Got for KDENEON mate. You get a nice solid 18.04 base system and the latest desktop crack from KDE. The Plasma desktop is fast and rarely has any problems, you will not be disappointed.

pecosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
When building a dedicated system I usually use Lubuntu because it's light-weight, I'm sure not to install much more than I need to keep it thin.  The first time I built I I simply set TinyWM as the Window manager and it worked fine.  Something has changed in the code since then however, it loses focus when you do that and it doesn't recover.  I use OpenBox - after stripping out all the gestures/shortcuts that are called up by using the joystick that's really a keyboard while playing.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/x-server-issues-focus-loss-4175618240/