Author Topic: Adding a button instruction screen after launching rom  (Read 2551 times)

muell

• View Profile
Adding a button instruction screen after launching rom
« on: October 27, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »
About a year ago I started using the attract mode with the robospin theme in my arcade legends cabinet. Its working well but I get alot of people playing it that know nothing about arcades and I wish there were a way to show what buttons each game used like the arcade legends/ ultracade system did. I found CPwizard and I think I can use it to create a button layout image or gif im just not sure how to make the image show up/ play after a rom is pressed and stay on screen until a button is pressed. Is this possible?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a button instruction screen after launching rom
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »
It would be possible if: You can generate images for every rom and have them named in reference to the romname.

Afterwards, I would go about it like this:
  • Create a plugin with a class object
  • Constructor creates and hides your objects
  • Constructor references a transition callback function and tick function
  • ticks function sets tick value to class variable
  • Transition tests for ToGame
  • Use fe.game_info(Info.Name) to set filename for image, and show your object.
  • return false after comparison of ticks for specified amount of time
  • Transition FromGame hides object

Just a start in the correct direction. Most games are easy enough to figure out. And History.dat includes such info. So I haven’t really done this yet. Unless we parse the dat, grab that info, do it that way. Maybe interesting. Not enough time in my life to complete all these projects in a timely fashion.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »
you could also just add it as an overlay, or bezel ...mame or retroarck

with the custom game control.png
help a friend....

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:40:56 PM »
Interesting ideas in this thread! IMHO create a new artwork entry (controls) in emulator.cfg and then link artwork to fade.nut giving 1 second interval to load the rom. This would automate the process but won't respond to a button press.

Or utilize popup.nut linking controls artwork. This is discussed here > http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=456.0 (raygun and liquid8d posts). This would respond to button press but wont auto execute after launching a rom.