Author Topic: NOOB newbie questions, first time Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS .....need help please?  (Read 32456 times)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
I installed ubuntu in a virtual machine to help you out since I have no idea on the interface.

I assume you installed mame?
when you run mame it creates a hidden folder called .mame with the config and other folders.
So goto files on the left.
once your home directory opens go up to the top tool bar & click edit.
Choose preferences.
Check "show hidden & backup files"
hit close.
you should see the .mame folder.

not when you plugged in your usb drive it should of showed up as a mounted device.
goto it & just copy your roms to the .mame rom folder like on windows.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Nitrogen,

Thanks so much for the additional help!  I'm almost able to do this, but when I copy my roms and look for the .MAME rom folder all i find in the .Mame folder is a file called cfg....so not sure where to copy the roms yet.  In a windows based install I would normally look for a roms folder to dump them into, but I don't see that, just the cfg folder.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
odd.
ok.
I guess some distro's create the proper folder structure & some don't.

first you need to create a mame.ini config file.
goto your your ./Mame folder and open a terminal then type "mame -cc" without the quotes.

then you can create your rom folder.
right click in the .mame folder like in windows & select new.
call it roms for simplicities sake.

after that you can open the mame.ini file & look for the path for the roms.
look at the folder path.
should say something like $HOME/.Mame/rom(s)
that may or may not work with the `buntu's.

I use /home/[user name]/MAME/roms  with [user name] being the name of the user you are logging in with.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
When you say go to the .mame folder and open a terminal....do you mean highlight the .mame folder and press alt & F2?  Or do you mean go into the folder (where I see the cfg file and press alt &f2?

I've tried both and trying Mame-CC and get nothing.  Must be doing something wrong.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
so i used the search bar and typed in mame.ini...and it brought up the mame.cfg box...specifically called mame.cfg(~/.attract/emulators)-gedit

within this Mame.CFG it has:

# Generated by Attract-Mode 1.0.2
#
executable          $HOME/.mame/mame
args                    [name]
rompath              $home/.mame/roms/
romext                .zip;.7z;<DIR>
listxml                  mame
artwork           marquee            $home/.mame/marquees
artwork           snap                  $home/.mame/videos;$HOME/.mame/snap
artwork          flyer
artwork          wheel

I'll have to reread your instructions now and see if I have a clue....    :)   (I'm such a newbie!)

akafox

• View Profile
Sorry I didn't get to you faster holiday got me. I have ubuntu loaded in a virtual box. The reason Bsoder has no folders is because mame has not been run yet. Click the dash button and then type "terminal". (Remember no quotes) Click on the icon that says "Terminal" to start it. (Also it might put it in the side bar on the left..if it does..just click it and it should pop up.) Then in the terminal type "mame". After the first run it will come up and complain about "no games check your mame.ini"..just hit enter or esc it will close and will make all the folders.Then in the terminal type like nitro said:

"..mame -cc"
first you need to create a mame.ini config file.

(Sorry for plagiarizing you there nitro :P)

it will create it in your home folder (click home icon) when it (Nautilus) loads click veiw --> then select "show hidden files". You should see a ".mame" folder. (the dot indicates it's hidden.) First move your new mame.ini to your .mame folder. Now click your .mame folder to open it. Then right click on the mame .ini and select "open with text editor". Once open look for:
Code: [Select]
#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
rompath                   $HOME/.mame/roms;/usr/local/share/games/mame/roms;/usr/share/games/mame/roms <--this
hashpath                  /usr/share/games/mess/hash
samplepath                $HOME/.mame/samples;/usr/local/share/games/mame/samples;/usr/share/games/mame/samples <--this
artpath                   $HOME/.mame/artwork;/usr/local/share/games/mame/artwork;/usr/share/games/mame/artwork
ctrlrpath                 $HOME/.mame/ctrlr
inipath                   $HOME/.mame;/etc/mame <-- this

change your paths where I have marked "<--this" make them look like mine. Then from the terminal type "mame" again. You should see a "gui" pop up and your games listed..type a name to search. Press enter to start it.

As for moving your games from your USB drive to your mame folder (you MUST have your mame.ini in your mame folder and your paths set right..last you MUST have at least one game in the folder or mame will complain no matter if the other things are correct!) First insert your usb drive..it should mount..your drive should appear in the file manager (Nautilus) press the F3 key..it should split (you'll see the drive open twice in the same panel (window). Then navigate to your .mame folder (click "home" on the left panel (remember show hidden files if you don't see a .mame folder) next click your ".mame" folder and then open your "roms" folder. On the side that has your USB drive click it to make it "active" after that press and hold Ctrl and then the "A" key. (it highlights everything) then right click the choose copy to other pane.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:56:31 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
I hope the above helped you Bosder. You posted that reply while I was writing mine lol. What you have there in your post is the Attract Mode mame.ini NOT the mame.ini you need for mame. I hope my reply was helpful. I will check back later tonight and see if I can help you further if you have problems.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Thanks Fox!  Your post was very helpful indeed.  I was able to create the Mame.ini file and add it  to my .MAME file.  I'm to the point where I can configure the settings you posted....but I'm hesitant because you state it will then created a list of the roms.....but I have not installed the roms anywhere yet.  Should I do that prior to editing the Mame.ini config?  If so how?  Thanks for the clarification.  Bsoder

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Wait reread post and will create a "roms" folder, dump roms in and proceed with .ini config. 

Bsoder52

• View Profile
OK got it working!  So cool to play puckman again!  :)
many of the roms that I tried at first came up as missing a rom file to use though...so going to have some work to audit my roms list and find versions that work with this version of Mame, but to be expected I suppose.

Now to configure attract mode I suppose...hmm where to start?

akafox

• View Profile
Glad we could help you Bosder! :) As for attract mode..here is how to set that up..form the (unfinished) man page:

QUICKSTART To begin after starting attract mode from either the command line or the menu it will ask you which
language to use. You will then be taken to the Configure screen. To get started quickly goto "emulators" then choose the
 emulator you wish to set up. Most are preset with the basic info (or you may choose to make your own). The minimum you
need to set up to use Attract Mode is the executable path, the emulator Command Arguments, the Rompath, and the rom
extension.

Thus to set up MAME would be this:
path: /usr/games/mame
args: [NAME]
rom path: $HOME/.mame/roms
ext:     .zip
After all the info is entered choose Generate Collection/Rom List press enter and Attract Mode will generate a list. Then select
back and then choose back again. You should be presented with the "Attract Man" layout and a list or your roms. To start a
game simply use the up and down arrows and press Enter or the LEFT Control (Ctrl) key. From here your emulator takes control!

DETAILED USE:
          DEFAULT KEYS: UP arrow moves up one selection/game
                        Down arrow moves down one selection/game
                        TAB enters configure screen
                        Escape exits Attract Mode or it exits the current configuration screen

Bsoder52

• View Profile
I got this far and see my roms for MAME listed in the Attract-Mode Pac man screen.  I can cycle up and down the roms list on the GUI, but pressing enter or left ctr does not launch any games?

akafox

• View Profile
Then you have something wrong in your Attract mode configuration..post it here and i'll look. Sounds like you have your mame binary (program) path wrong..

#
executable           mame
args                 [name]
rompath              $HOME/.mame/roms/
romext               .zip
system               Arcade
info_source          mame
import_extras        $HOME/.mame/catver.ini;$HOME/.mame/nplayers.ini;$HOME/.mame/controls.ini
artwork    flyer           $HOME/.mame/flyers
artwork    marquee         $HOME/.mame/marquees
artwork    snap            $HOME/.mame/videos;$HOME/.mame/snap
artwork    wheel           $HOME/.mame/wheel

the above is mine..compare it and see if it works..if not post yours please :)

Bsoder52

• View Profile
#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
rompath                   $HOME/.mame/roms;/usr/local/share/games/mame/roms;/usr/share/games/mame/roms
hashpath                  /usr/share/games/mess/hash
samplepath                $HOME/.mame/samples;/usr/local/share/games/mame/samples;/usr/share/games/mame/samples
artpath                   $HOME/.mame/artwork;/usr/local/share/games/mame/artwork;/usr/share/games/mame/artwork
ctrlrpath                 /etc/mess/ctrlr
inipath                   $HOME/.mame;/etc/mame
fontpath                  .
cheatpath                 $HOME/.mame/cheat;/usr/local/share/games/mame/cheat;/usr/share/games/mame/cheat
crosshairpath             $HOME/.mame/crosshair;/usr/local/share/games/mame/crosshair;/usr/share/games/mame/crosshair

akafox

• View Profile
That is your mame.ini file. I need your attract mode configuration file please.