Author Topic: How to set up attract mode on a PC step by step  (Read 114956 times)

thermo

• View Profile
Re: How to set up attract mode on a PC step by step
« Reply #60 on: Today at 09:51:03 AM »
Hi Akafox,

thanks for your answer.

Meanwhile I removed MAME and installed RetroArch.
There is the same phenomenon:
When I launch a game via Terminal, it plays great:
Code: [Select]
/Applications/RetroArch.app/Contents/MacOS/RetroArch -L /Applications/RetroArch.app/Contents/Resources/cores/mame2015_libretro.dylib "/Volumes/Roms/arcade/spang.zip" --appendconfig "/Users/xxx/Documents/RetroArch/overlays/configs/MAME2003.cfg|/Users/thermo/Documents/RetroArch/overlays/configs/ARCADE/[name].cfg"
But from within the AM config nothing happens:
executable           /Applications/RetroArch.app/Contents/MacOS/RetroArch
args                 "[romfilename]" -L /Applications/RetroArch.app/Contents/Resources/cores/mame2015_libretro.dylib  --appendconfig "$HOME/Documents/RetroArch/overlays/configs/MAME2003.cfg|$HOME/Documents/RetroArch/overlays/configs/ARCADE/[name].cfg"
rompath              /Volumes/Roms/arcade

I tried to dig a little deeper and found somewhere a clue with a force command "-f".
So I added it:
args                 "[romfilename]" -f -L /Applications/RetroArch.app/Contents/Resources/cores/mame2015_libretro.dylib  --appendconfig "$HOME/Documents/RetroArch/overlays/configs/MAME2003.cfg|$HOME/Documents/RetroArch/overlays/configs/ARCADE/[name].cfg"
What happens is, that RetroArch is now opened and the roms loads, but again: it freezes after some seconds...  :o

It seems to me, that there is a problem with AM starting other Apps?
Another user posted a similar problem:
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1797.0

Is this a known bug?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Today at 11:51:50 AM »
I am not sure here...  :o

Seems strange from what I can tell the user in that other link was a windows user..and you are on a MAC correct?

I have loaded mame retroarch from AM without any problems at all....well except for the "current mame" core. I use the 2015 mame core and the 2003 mame core for a handful of others (just because the newer cores cause strange sound problems (this is a actual mame problem..nothing to do with the cores))

this is so strange..I am having no problems at all *shrugs* but again I am not a mac user...

try re-posting this is the main thread please so that more people will see it (I hope!) So does the terminal spit out anything AFTER you try to launch from AM? if so what does it show?
People want life easy..then complain about it

thermo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Today at 12:34:34 PM »
Unfortunately I am not sure how to trigger AM to leave something in the terminal - I try to start the rom from the AM app and don't know what AM sends to the terminal in the background (and where to inspect that)  :-\

But sure, good suggestion to post it in the main thread... maybe there are some mac users reading  :)