Author Topic: Good emulator for SNES and AM?  (Read 147 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Good emulator for SNES and AM?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 11:41:30 PM »
Yes, I think so. My arcade cabinet was built years ago with a different FE on x86. By having the autoconfig file in RA I have put in different boards running different OSes over the years but my autoconfig file always works (in some cases with very small tweaks) across Window and Linux as well as x86 vs. x64 vs. Raspberry Pi. Over the years new features get added to RA which won't be in old versions of the retroach.cfg so copying it isn't the best idea and it won't work across different OSes since video and audio setting will likely be different.

This benefit is decreased significantly if the controllers will never be changed, which I now understand is likely your case. It is also decreased even less if you never plan to try another OS.

I should also mention that I've been using RA for over five years and when I started with it, I deleted the entire install and started fresh many times. More than one redo was because I did the arcade encoder setup in an less than desirable way. I learned from my mistakes and wouldn't call myself an expert but let's say the once confusing RA now makes a lots of sense and it's easy for me navigate/configure/change.

P.S. In the first year using RA I learned that you could simply delete the retroach.cfg file and it would create a new one. This doesn't always fix your "won't run" problem but it usually does. Renaming it to compare to the old one is probably a better idea. I rarely make changes to RA running in my cab if I'm not changing the OS.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:59:21 PM by progets »