Author Topic: Best Compression for Specific Emulators  (Read 10226 times)

gamesmame

• View Profile
Re: Best Compression for Specific Emulators
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 05:28:57 AM »
I see this:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

but sorry i need this help...  :-[
Hello friends ...

I have a lot of PS2 games here, in format: 7z and Gz and I want to transform everything into CHD .. I need a bat to extract my many .gz(7z) and transform everything in CHD and delete the .gz(7z) automatically. .. Masters of bats and codes, can you help me? Thanks  ;D

I need from a .bat that I do:  extract the .Gz then excludes and transformation .ISO to CHD with the  CHDMAN
Modify message

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
-mark all archvies (ctrl+a)
-extract here
-move all .iso to one single folder
-mark all archives (ctrl+a)
-delete
-search for a tool that converts iso to chd
-create there a batch-file:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
for /r %%i in (*.iso) do (
"path_to_your_conversion_Tool\your_Conversion-Tool.exe" "%%~ni.iso" "%%~ni.chd"
)
-sort for all iso-files
-mark all iso-files
-delete
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

gamesmame

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »
Dont have anyway create one bat for extract and convert for .CHD and delete the .gz automatic? I have extract manually?  :P :'(

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 11:19:46 PM »
Dont have anyway create one bat for extract and convert for .CHD and delete the .gz automatic? I have extract manually?  :P :'(

This can be done but it's not a smart approach. There will likely be errors and if you remove all the original files and unzipped files in one script you won't be able to correct them. This would result in broken games with no way to fix them other than a backup or redownload.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:24:15 PM by progets »

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 12:48:53 AM »
Based on your question and laziness, I think your plan with one single file is extremely dangerous, if you don't know how and what you're doing. Sorry ^-^

Use three batch files instead:
>Extract:
@echo off
for /r %%i in (*.zip) do (
"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" e %%i -o"C:\myFolder" *.iso -r
)

>Convert:
see post above

>Delete:
@echo off
for /r %%i in (*.zip) do (
del /F /Q "%%i"
)
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

gamesmame

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »
On second thought, you are right ... I will extract manually then use the .bat to transform for CHD !!! Thanks for all the help !!! ^ _ ^

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
I did convert my psx (one) games from pbp to chd and saved 150(?) GB so now they fit nicely onto a 512 GB SSD for my pi with room to breathe. I do know that versions of chdman has made tighter and tighter (better?) compression with each version.

On to the PS2 though, I don't have a full set (I can't even image the amount of space that would take!..actually 3-4TB would be my estimation.) I compressed Dark Cloud from a 1.8G iso file to a 938Gb cso format file then to a 759GB chd format file. So a whole Gigabyte from raw iso to chd format? That is a good chunk of spaced saved but not all games will compress down that far I would think... (Bloody Roar 3 in bin/cue is 671MB to cso format it is 517MB to chd it is 488Mb so only a 183MB difference..maybe i should compare another raw iso not a bin/cue?)

From what I understand the cso format that is used for ps2 compression is lossless much like chd..I could be wrong? PCSX2 supports chd now I hear...but with drives getting bigger and cheaper..will it matter if things are compressed? Than again the Raspberry Pi 8 might run PS2 on day?...and 4Terabyte Micro SD cards are not cheap! :P

Interesting to think that we thought 650GB was huge then..now it just seems..quaint after 25 years  ::)
People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
Just to note here...

For those of you who are afraid of the command line/terminal the Gui program from qmc2 still works. While i do not recommend that you use thee emulator part (though I doubt it will steal all your chickens if you do...it is just and older version of mame that has not been updated) as i said the gui works fine and yes it uses the newest version of chdmame (the version you tell it to use. So grab the newest one from mame dev).

In windows it should work "out of the box" in liunx use wine
People want life easy..then complain about it