Author Topic: MAME merged sets and CATVER.INI  (Read 189 times)

Geoman

• View Profile
MAME merged sets and CATVER.INI
« on: January 06, 2022, 03:13:02 PM »
I have merged MAME roms so generating a romlist from the AttractMode interface ignores all clones...

I can export from MAME and use: attract --import-romlist mamelist.xml mame --full so now i also have all clones, but how can i integrate catver.ini or nplayers.ini into the final list?

Mark Norville

• View Profile
Re: MAME merged sets and CATVER.INI
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 12:28:01 AM »
You need to put them into a folder, I have mine in a metadata folder

In emulators MAME you need to find additional import files and put the catver.ini and nplayers.ini into that, so as an example

C:\Your Emulator Directory\metadata\catver.ini; (semi colon as a space)C:\Your Emulator Directory\metadata\nplayers.ini

You then have to use filters to get rid of the clones, however there are a lot of good clones out there so you need to keep chipping through your MAME collection and find the best games, it takes a while, but worth it in the end.

You will end up with about 3,000 games or just under.

Regards

Mark
Some of us are busy skinning and contributing to the forum, rather than being an immature idiot. I am not going to argue with a child in the forum, which is why I took it private. However, you are still a joke in private. Keep it up and hopefully you will get banned. As I said boy, check me out.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: MAME merged sets and CATVER.INI
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 08:36:45 PM »
While mark is correct on all counts

If you want to do a 'clean' set you will need a rom manager like clrmamepro I make my roms as non-merged and then create my list and filter it using a spreadsheet pick the roms I want and then build a script to delete the rest. it is overkill and take some work.and some learning..but with hard drives being so much larger these days it may not matter  ::) :P

However you may want to remember that most people do not remember "Puckman" but they do remember "Pac-Man" (i.e. puckman is the parent and is needed to run pacman...this goes for galaga3 and some others..

Also there are roms in a mame set are are marked as not working in mame..no need to have them take up space on the drive either...but like I said above  ;)

mame dats for clrmamepro here..youtube video to use clrmame pro here

fun fact: A full working arcade set of roms and chds can fit on a 40..(50?) gig hard drive :P
People want life easy..then complain about it