Author Topic: Launching Windows/Linux Games (non-console emu's) in Desktop Linux/Ubuntu???  (Read 3280 times)

Linux Lover

• View Profile
I have a good basic understanding of this program and have added console emulators, but am having the most trouble with loading standard Linux/Ubuntu and windows games (via Wine).  There doesn't yet seem to be any default emulator profiles with these like exist w/standard console emulators.  I have a somewhat perfect setup for all my games in Windows 7 AM, but haven't quite gotten my Linux AM (in Peppermint 9 x64) to parity.  The windows games I'm attempting work decently enough in Wine, when I run them by double-clicking their exes, or in a terminal with "wine start (program name)".  When I run these, they don't seem to install in winecfg (afaict).  They just seem to run as a portable app might run in Windows.  I can't figure out how to equally launch them via AM like in the Linux desktop using Wine.  I've combed through these forums with keyword searches relating to any mention of wine, steam, linux, ubuntu.  I came across a couple of scripts that were uploaded for reference, but they didn't seem to help or apply to my situation.  Specifically, I added "/bin/bash" under the executable designation in the windows games template.  I played around with the working directories to show the folders where the exe's or .sh were located, but no help there.  I'm not the strongest when it comes to cli, but have a somewhat well put together distro after much trial & error.  Here is what I copied or referenced from uploaded templates:

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.4.1
#
executable           /bin/bash
args                 "[romfilename]"
rompath              /media/2tb/roms/linux
romext               .sh;.SH
system               PC

# Generated by Attract-Mode 1.5.1
#
executable           cmd
args                 /c "[romfilename]"
rompath              $HOME/windows_games/
romext               .lnk;.bat
system               PC

I didn't include the art paths b/c I imagine they are not important.  I only changed the rompath.  I played around with the args and romext by adding .exe, per these templates but removed them when I saw they made no difference.  I was able to run windows games (IIRC) via the .lnk;.bat romext in Windows 7 and similarly tried in Linux, but didn't work.  In case it helps, the games I successfully launch via wine are fan-made home-brew windows games: Sonic Utopia, DonkeyMe, Jumpman Zero.  I haven't tried to launch Linux games yet, like Steel Storm, which I purchased years before it was available on Steam.  Hopefully it won't be as difficult to figure out as the wine situation.  Please forgive any obvious things I missed.  I love AM, so any help is greatly appreciated.