Author Topic: Arcadeflow theme v 5.5 [Release] Updated 13 September 2019  (Read 55242 times)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Arcadeflow theme v 5.5 [Release] Updated 13 September 2019
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Arcadeflow theme updated to revision 5.5!

From revision 3.6 Arcadeflow requires AM 2.5.

After improving "More of the same..." menu in version 5.4 I was almost sure future releases would be minimal improvements, new manufacturer icons, slight changes. Then we started talking about sorting lists on the forum and now...

Now Arcadeflow 5.5 is here bringing (maybe for the first time in an Attract Mode layout) the possibility to sort your games lists on the fly, no need to alter the order or create custom filter. Everything works "live" from the Utility Menu, and you can even chose if you want the sort order to "stick" when you re-launch the frontend.

Of course this was a huge change, and I must admit the code still needs some polishing and clean-up but, as far as I could test, it works, and I couldn't wait to share it with you :D

There's a What's new file inside the archive, but I won't past here the whole readme anymore so this post is going to be simpler.

You can download Arcadeflow 5.5 here:

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION

You can see a detailed history and also download old versions here:

VERSIONS HISTORY

v1.4 on youtube (I know this is so old...)
https://youtu.be/sUZW1vHs7Lg https://youtu.be/sUZW1vHs7Lg

# Arcadeflow - Attract Mode theme by zpaolo11x - v 5.5 #

Arcadeflow is an horizontal scrolling, grid based theme for MAME and console games, it supports multiple systems and is based on snapshots and game titles or on cartridge boxes / flyers. If you have video snaps they will appear over the selected thumbnail without sound, and you can open larger video preview with sound and game data in a separate "info" page. Multiple displays are supported and the theme can be used as Displays Menu layout. You can sort game lists within Arcadeflow user interface.

The layout adapts to different aspect ratios (5:4, 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10) automatically and reasonably well (external snaps get partially cut but not completely obscured) and a different layout is enabled for vertical aspect ratio.

For best results with thumbnails aspect ratio and cropping, Arcadeflow matches your emulator "System Identifier" to detect if the game has an LCD screen. For example if your System Identifier is "Game Boy" (or gameboy etc) it will be treated as LCD.

Arcadeflow is heavily configurable, please take some time to go through the option and you'll see you can tailor it to most of your needs.

## What's new in v 5.5 #

- Added support for custom sort of game lists, from within Arcadeflow utility menu
- New "prev_letter" "next_letter" management allowing to jump to prev/next year, manufacturer etc according to sort order
- When sorting by title a layout options allow stripping of articles "The", "Vs." etc
- Option to save sort order state each time it is changed
- When resetting search results there's an option to keep the current game selected

## Emulator system identifier #

Arcadeflow is not only for arcades, it will work for console and computer games as well as handheld. To better suit each emulator you can add a System Identifier with the name of your console ("Game Boy", "Arcade", "Sega Genesis" etc) so some aspects of the GUI will adapt accordingly.

## Custom controls #

When you hit the "select" or "custom" control button (see layout options) an overlay context menu appears, here you can do different things to activate the following functions:

- "SELECT" launches the current game
- "UP" enters the "More of the same..." search function, filtering games with the same year, manufacturer, main category or sub-category of the current game
- "DOWN" enters the "History" page where you can see and scroll the game history and see a larger game preview
- "LEFT" to enter the Tags menu
- "RIGHT" to add/remove favorites
- "ESC" goes back to the thumbnail list

## General layout menu #

You can access a general menu by going "UP" from the first row of thumbnails. In the options you can disable this menu altogether or tie it to a "custom" button. This menu features:

- "Sort by..." to dynamically sort your game list
- "Filters" menu
- "Displays" menu
- "Search" function (see options)
- "Layout options" from AM 2.4+
- "Attract Mode" to engage attract mode without waiting the timeout
- "Switch Box Art" to quickly change from screenshot view to box art view, this is persistent after AM relaunch
- "Reset Box Art" clears all preferences set with the above menu and reload the layout

## Tags #

You can add a "Completed" tag to games, that will add a "Completed" stamp on the thumbnails

## Sorting and scrolling #

When your list is sorted by name a large preview letter will appear while scrolling through the list.
If your list is sorted by year the year will appear instead of the letter.
You can go "DOWN" from the latest row to enter a "large jumps" scrolling mode which depends on the scrollbar preferences: it can do "page jumps" (one screen at a time) or "label jump" based on your list sort order.

## Displays Menu #

Arcadeflow supports Displays Menu in many ways:

- You can enter the Displays Menu from the general layout menu, this will show your displays list in the usual overlay menu
- You can use Arcadeflow itself as a Displays Menu layout. Be sure to add "wheel" and "snaps" artworks for your Displays in the menu-art folder of Attract Mode

## Layout options #

GENERAL

- "Box Art mode" : Show box art or flyers instead of screen captures
- "Context Menu Button" : Setup the button to use to recall game info and actions context menu (can be "select")
- "Utility Menu Button" : Setup the button to use to recall the general utility menu
- "Switch thumbnail mode button" : Chose the button to use to switch from snapshot mode to box art mode
- "Rows in horizontal" : Number of rows to use in 'horizontal' mode
- "Rows in vertical" : Number of rows to use in 'vertical' mode
- "Clean layout" : Reduce game data shown on screen
- "Display System name" : Shows the System name under the game title
- "Scrollbar style" : Select how the scrollbar should look: Timeline, Simple Scrollbar or Labels List
- "Strip article from title sort"  :When sorting by Title ignore articles
- "Save sort order" : Custom sort order is saved through Arcadeflow sessions
- "Screen rotation" : Select a persistent screen rotation option
- "Low resolution": Optimize theme for low resolution screens, 1 row layout forced, increased font size and cleaner layout

DISPLAYS MENU MODE

- "Displays Rows in horizontal" : Number of rows to use in 'horizontal' mode when theme used as Displays Menu
- "Displays Rows in vertical" : Number of rows to use in 'vertical' mode when theme used as Displays Menu
- "Generate missing display name art" : If no display title is present, the layout can generate it

PERFORMANCE & FX

- "Low Spec Mode" : Reduce visual effects to boost speed on lower spec systems
- "Resolution W x H" : Define a custom resolution for your layout independent of screen resolution
- "Smooth shadow" : Enable smooth shadow under game title and data in the GUI
- "Frosted glass" : Add a frosted glass effect for menu backgrounds
- "Glow effect" : Add a glowing halo around the selected game thumbnail
- "Logo smooth shadow" : Enable smooth shadows under game logo
- "Thumb gradient" : Fades the artwork behind the game logo to its average color

THUMBNAILS

- "Aspect ratio" : Chose wether you want cropped, square snaps or horizontal and vertical snaps
- "Video thumbs" : Enable video overlay on snapshot thumbnails
- "Video delay multiplier" : Increase video load delay
- "Generate missing title art" : If no game title is present, the layout can generate it
- "New Game Indicator" : Games not played are marked with a glyph
- "Show tag indicator" : Shows a tag attached to thumbnails that contains any tag
- "Custom tag name" : You can see a tag glyph overlayed to the thumbs, chose the tag name to use
- "Game Boy color correction" : Apply a colorized palette to Game Boy games

BACKGROUND

- "Overlay Color" : Setup theme luminosity overlay
- "Custom BG Image" : Insert custom background art path
- "Background snap" : Add a faded game snapshot to the background
- "Animate BG snap" : Animate video on background

LOGO

- "Enable splash logo" : Enable or disable the AF start logo
- "Custom splash logo" : Chose a custom picture as splash logo

ATTRACT MODE

- "Enable attract mode" : Enable attract mode at layout startup, or after delay, or disable it
- "Custom attract music" : Insert the path to an mp3 you'd like to hear during attract mode
- "Enable game sound" : Enable game sounds during attract mode
- "Attract mode timer (s)" : Inactivity timer before attract mode is enabled
- "Game change time (s)" : Time interval between each game change
- "Attract message" : Text to show during attract mode

SEARCH

- "Search entry method" : Use keyboard or on-screen keys to enter search string
- "Immediate search" : Live update results while searching

HISTORY
- "Scanline effect" : Select scanline effect: default scanlines, half res scanlines, aperture mask or none
- "LCD effect" : Select LCD effect for handheld games: Matrix = see dot matrix, Half Resolution = see matrix at half resolution, None = no effect
- "Text panel style" : Chose between a white history background or no background
- "Game panel style" : Select the look of the history game panel, dark or standard
- "History.dat" : History.dat location
- "Index Clones" : Set whether entries for clones should be included in the index.
- "Generate Index" : Generate the history.dat index now (this can take some time)

AUDIO

- "Theme sound" : Enables or disables the "click" and "woosh" theme sounds
- "Audio in videos (thumbs)" : Select wether you want to play audio in videos on thumbs
- "Audio in videos (history)" : Select wether you want to play audio in videos on history detail page

DEBUG

- "FPS Counter": Enable framerate counter for debug purposes
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:17:07 AM by zpaolo11x »

calle81

• View Profile
Re: My first theme! Smooth grid :) [Preview]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
Nice! GJ :)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:08:41 PM »
Nice! GJ :)

Thank you, sorry for the giant screenshot, is there a better way to post screenshots? Because I have another theme with more screenshots and I don't want to do a mess :)

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:37:16 PM »
Because my theme was starting to look a bit too much like Ambiance HD (and I swear I didn't see Ambiance HD before starting to work on mine :D) I've redone the graphics so that screenshots are in the correct aspect ratio :) I like the new soft shadows

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
nooooo! :D

Roll back to the first version with square cropped screenshots - it was really good.
More elegant than the last one - in my opinion.

And don't worry about the similarities to any other theme. I'm sure this won't bother anyone.

---

ps: simplest way to post screenshot is to scale it down to 800px width

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
I'm sure you've wanted it to look really minimal, but maybe adding some light semi-translucent background under the text could spice it up a little.
I've also added a little shadow under that title bar.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:03:17 PM by verion »

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:04:22 AM »
I'm sure you've wanted it to look really minimal, but maybe adding some light semi-translucent background under the text could spice it up a little.
I've also added a little shadow under that title bar.

yeah listes to the jedi master above ^

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »

Thank you for the comment, actually the kind of look you show in your mockup is exactly the first version of the theme I was working on, with lighter top band and drop shadow :D This is to say that, despite the fact that I like it, it's not fit with the kind of look I'm seeking right now: having a plain background gives more breath to the thumbnails IMO

I still have not decided if I like cropped or uncropped thumbs, uncropped has the advantage of immediately telling which games are vertical or horizontal... maybe I'll add it as an option :)

I'm also struggling with the Mac version of AM which sometimes behaves a bit different from the windows version, maybe it's also related to the hardware (the Windows machine is a 12 core Xeon with Quadro graphics card and PCIe4x SSD LOL, everything seems fast on that)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
Sure - that's your design.

As for the mac - from my experience mac version (especially when using surfaces) takes a greater toll on CPU - compared to win version. On my Macbook Air (1.3Ghz 2 cores) simple theme with just one surface hovers around 60% CPU - and the same theme without surface is around 20-30%.

Tapper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
Looks pretty cool! Will try it out when released!

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:46:34 PM »

Personaly i hate it,,,  Dont work for me.  just kidding ::)   

would love to try!   waiting thanks

help a friend....

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:28:47 PM »
As for the mac - from my experience mac version (especially when using surfaces) takes a greater toll on CPU

You are absolutely right, the latest version from mameonmodernmacs is a lot better than the official one though. In the past I noticed many times that using and updating multiple layered pictures as single entities instead of "packaging" them in a surface (like in my theme with the snaps and logos) was better (on the Mac).

Right now this doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, but for example "set_pos" to reposition and scale images takes a large toll and I'm trying to reduce it as much as I can

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
I've updated the theme with video snaps and other tweaks, right now it requires some preparation of snapshots (to avoid resizing pictures on the fly on my Mac) and the generating of fake blurred snapshots (dirty tricks, I know, but the crossfade effect is neat :D) but otherwise it's almost ready for release...

Preview video here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nse_PPJXXvbx-dsJWXCLcTtbTt1ZLp8y/view?usp=sharing

as usual a bit of stuttering is due to the capture software...

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:33:31 PM »
any new's   
 looks good.
help a friend....