Author Topic: [download v1.0] FLAT BLUE theme released  (Read 180533 times)

sportman

• View Profile
Re: [download v1.0] FLAT BLUE theme released
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
curious about pi version as well, hard to find things that look great on 240p CRT in attract mode, been going back and forth between TFT for emulationstation or cool for attract, i was able to get the flat_blue kinda working on pi but certain things were still off font sizes were def too hard to read on game names, and i had to run the theme zipped when i extract it it just shows me a game list full screen with a video background.

Deflektor

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
First thing that makes it not work on the Pi is the scripts/*.nut filenames are mixed case, but the include in the main .nut is using lowercase. Since the Pi uses a case sensitive filesystem it doesn't find the files. I tried renaming the files to all lower case and it kinda works, but is very laggy on a Pi 3.

P47

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
A version compatible with Raspberry Pi is a good ideia ;)

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »
I see nothing going on in this layout that would OBVIOUSLY make it lag on the Pi...

Maybe I'll poke around and see if I can get it to work.

EDIT: Holy crap... that's some amount of code there... I'm guessing due to the scaling it's capable of, etc... but looking at the video,  it seems it could be done much more easily... but at the cost of flexibility.  To create such a theme for fixed resolution SHOULDN'T be that tough... but then again,  I'm barely a hack... so there's always that.

;)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:37:14 AM by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (updated 06-27-19)

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »
OK... I am confused by the issues people are having with this theme.  All I did to get this theme working was:

(1) Change all upper/lower filenames to all lower.  Be careful as some use TWO uppercase letters in the file name.  All lower... all files (nut names, font names, etc.)... all folders.

(2) In the layout.nut file,  there is a line that reads:

local test_resolution = scalar2();

After that line there are a bunch of commented out examples.  I am GUESSING this theme is supposed to automatically adjust the screen size and those settings are just for testing purposes ... but since I am using an ARpiCADE it doesn't matter what setting I set it for as all the video is being scaled to fit my arcade monitor... I figured I'd give 640,480 a try... so I changed the line to:

local test_resolution = scalar2(640,480);

...and it works great!   I'll try 320,240 next (being that's the resolution I'm actually seeing).  Maybe the issue is leaving that setting out and the Pi not being able to determine the resolution?  Maybe the Pi automatically kicks in a super high resolution?  Maybe the tester above who got very slow speeds ran it at a super high resolution?   Not sure... but at 640x480 it looks fine.

THAT SAID... this isn't a great theme for an arcade monitor.  The text is too small to be decently legible.   I "might" tweak a few settings,  but while I can see this theme working for a PC monitor... I'll probably not use it for the cab.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2018, 03:47:25 AM »
I'll be releasing v 2.0 optimised for PI

It will fix 2 main problems:
- UPPER/lower case problems, a bug that went under the radar because windows is not case sensitive (and RPi and linux in general is)
- RPi performance issues, mainly because of the too low data throughput (from SD or even from USB attached SSD) to quickly play videos when fast scrolling thought the game list

Right now UPPER/lower case bug is forcing people to run the theme from ZIP, that downgrades the perofrmace even more.

------

@FrizzleFried
The theme should auto-adjust to screen resolution and when it detects low resolution - special low-res mode kicks in, increasing the font size.
It looks perfectly good on arcade CRT - see here in BLAST CITY arcade cab here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlcKS1wsmY

But it's on windows (and works on OSX too) - maybe that low-res mode doesn't work on RPi/linux for some reason?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:52:15 AM by verion »

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »

@FrizzleFried
The theme should auto-adjust to screen resolution and when it detects low resolution - special low-res mode kicks in, increasing the font size.
It looks perfectly good on arcade CRT - see here in BLAST CITY arcade cab here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlcKS1wsmY

But it's on windows (and works on OSX too) - maybe that low-res mode doesn't work on RPi/linux for some reason?

Honestly,  I didn't even try.  I just put in 640x480 and went from there.  I'll do a little testing and let you know however.  I figure I'll try 320x240 and then try removing the setting to see if it auto-chooses correctly.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
IMHO it's not worth it - just wait for 2.0 - as there are deep changes in the code.

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
If you're open to suggestions... from an arcade monitor users perspective... the fonts are too small.  The only way I could see increasing their size however would be to increase the size of the "buttons" to the left.... not sure if "arcade guys" are your target audience however.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
yeah, I'm guilty of not playing on arcade monitor for 20+ years :D

But Chris (the dev behind all the coding) is actually using it with his own Blast City cab. So it "should" look legible in that "low-res" mode - at least I'm sure it looks good for him.

Anyway, version 2.0 is in "feature freeze" mode - so no changes before release.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2018, 03:24:56 AM »
yeah, I'm guilty of not playing on arcade monitor for 20+ years :D

But Chris (the dev behind all the coding) is actually using it with his own Blast City cab. So it "should" look legible in that "low-res" mode - at least I'm sure it looks good for him.

Anyway, version 2.0 is in "feature freeze" mode - so no changes before release.

Maybe your running 480i with crtemudriver and Frizzle is running 240p rpi? I found that text in lakka’s xmb interface was ok at 480i but very blurry and almost unreadable at 240p. I switched to rgui which was designed for such a low res and its just huge text. It works well, looks not very artistic, but necessary at that res. The difference between the two resolutions is huge at that point.

tekn0

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »
It's great news 2.0 is in development with Pi3 compatibility!

jtslade

• View Profile
SOLVED::::Re: [download v1.0] FLAT BLUE theme released
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2018, 08:31:42 AM »
Edit.. i was able to solve these.. TY!

Two quick questions.. I love the theme BTW and it looks great running Vertically in GroovyArcade 2017 on my Cocktail Cab on the 19" Electrohome G07

1: How can I get my Wheel art to show up bigger? It's scaled really small... (Can text be scaled? Can the text for Game Names on the left be scaled?)

2: I see the special set of game icons mentioned but where can I download them and on a linux install of attract mode where do they go?

Thank you.. I guess that was 3 questions.. LOL

I'll upload pics tonight if that helps..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:18:34 AM by jtslade »

7ank0v1c

• For the LORD is good and his love endures forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2018, 04:45:25 PM »
Hey guys, so I know I am bumping up an old topic, but I wondering how I can get info in the bottom right corner on this theme. Instead of games, I am using this for Consoles, and then going into the Nevato theme for games. I do however like the idea of having info like console year, etc.... in the box. How can I go about this?

Thanks in advance people  :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:50:30 PM by 7ank0v1c »
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. - Psalm 100:5

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
You mean like - replacing the info on the bottom-right corner (like year or # of times played) for something else?

---

Or the problem is elsewhere - and you want to search the forum on how to PROVIDE that info (in AM) for consoles so the theme can display it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:52:21 PM by verion »